Thursday, March 05, 2009

Dave's Dead

Sometimes things are just inexplicably bad and wrong.

We got the news today that one of our co-workers was in the hospital and will not survive. He contracted Pneumococcal Meningitis. This is seriously bad sh&*. Pneumococcal bacteria get into the spinal fluid. It has a 25% fatality rate if caught in time, but has a whole list of really bad side effects, like hydrocephalism, paralysis and retardation. It has a very short window for treatment without side effects.

I have known Dave for a quite a few years. A friendly outgoing guy with a real positive attitude and lots of things he was interrested in. He was always quick to Join in a conversation on almost any subject and always had a positive spin on things. On the weekends he was one of a group of musicians and musician wannabes who got together to jam..

He had a loving family and leaves a wife and a couple of teenage kids.

I never have heard anyone who had a bad thing to say about Dave.

They kept him on life support long enough to donate his organs, and then pulled the plug.

I hope the people who got his organs appreciate what a great guy Dave was.

I can see him so clearly in my mind, with a big grin and suppotive attitude.

I can think of a whole bunch of people I would rather see leave this planet.

Sometimes there is no good explanation for things.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry!

Al said...

This one hit me hard. I knew and liked the guy. He was so positive, it was always a pleasure to talk to him.

Anonymous said...

Aw man, that's awful. Hug a loved one today!

Al said...

NCP: I know as a Christian I am not supposed to question the will of the Lord, But what was HE thinking?

rennratt said...

Wow. The part that sticks out to me is, even at the end of his life, he stuck around long enough to help endless others.

I'm sorry for your loss - and for his family. It sounds like he was a class act.

Al said...

Renn: He was a very good guy. I never met anyone who had a bad word to say about him. You don't meet a lot of people in life you can say that about.