Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Cars Are Revolting

In both senses of the word.


Yesterday after work, I got in the truck, and it would not turn over. I had to go to Security and get a push. I am getting awfully tired of this. Having replaced the battery and alternator, the next step in the sequence is the starter.

So I got in the Z, the good old trust reliable Z, this morning and of course it started right up. Then the lights started strobing. Bright, dim, bright, dim. Then off. All the dash lights went out, the marker lights, the turn signals. The car still ran just fine and the headlights and tail lights worked, so I went to work. When I got home I started trouble shooting. The fusible links were fine. None of the fuses were blown. WTF????

Got out the multi-meter. The hot wire to the light switch was getting a good strong 12 volts. The output turned on and off when you operated the switch. Went out and pulled the lens off of one of the marker lights, and the bulb was blown. Tested the light, and it was getting 12v. Somehow a voltage spike had blown all of the bulbs. Markers, turn signals and dash lights. I replaced all the bulbs, tested the lights without the engine running, and everything works just fine. Got to be the voltage regulator. Ordered a new one, but it won't be in until tomorrow. Took apart the voltage regulator and tweaked it. Everything worked just fine. Of course I have no dash lights, since replacing the bulbs is a major pain in the ass, but I pretty much drive by sound and gears anyway, so it is no major deal, except that the stereo is out, It has an in-line fuse, which is probably blown, and to get at it you need to pull put the unit, and I just didn't have the time.

I will start it up in the morning and drive it to work with fingers crossed, get the new voltage regulator after work and put it in. Tearing the radio out and replacing the dash lights will have to wait.

Meanwhile the truck lurks in the driveway waiting for it's turn.

Sometimes I just have to ask myself why I love cars.

On the other hand, a new group of Mexicans has moved in across the street. The head of the household also has a Z. Through an interpreter, we talked Zs. He is a body and fender man. Just what I need. I have a ground effect kit for the Z that I just can't seem to get the time to get around to installing. I asked if he wanted to do some work for me, and we haggled over a price to install and paint the kit. We settled on $650.00 which is a very good price. Most quotes I had were over $1,000.00. I have to wait until after I get the truck fixed, but it will be nice to have it done.

In the meantime, I needed to get the hood for Frankenhealey straightened and ready for paint, so I asked him for a quote on that work, and he said $200.oo, so I told him to take it and do it. No hurry. It is kinda a test case. If he does well, he can do the Z, and after that, Frankenhealy.

It's nice to not be working seven days a week, I get a whole heck of a lot more done when I'm not dead tired.

4 comments:

sue said...

My opinion? The Z is possessed. ;)

Al said...

Sue: I was going with jealouse. After all I have paid more attention to Frankenhealey and the truck lately, so Zelda Z wanted her fair share of attention. She has been the good reliable stalwart dependable transportation, and she felt she was being taken for granted.

Michael said...

I wrenched on the bike a bit this weekend getting it ready for the road after sitting in storage for a few months while I was living out in Port Orchard.

Gotta say, it was a nice weekend to be outside! Sure makes working on mechanical devices more fun!

Al said...

Michael: Yeah, I always am anxious for the weather to turn so I can get out and work on my sports cars.