Thursday, April 30, 2009

Hiway Robbery

Because I am very anal about my cars, I overdo sometimes. I could have gone to the local parts house and ordered a generic battery cable and cobbled it together with the various wires and been reasonable certain it would work. I have done this many times, but it always ends badly. The contacts aren't perfect and it leads to things not working as well as they should.

Since the battery cable has three wires, and a couple of them go to things like the alternator and starter, I elected to buy the factory original replacement. I mean, how much could it be? So I called the Chevy dealer and ordered the part. I was told it would be $65. Well, since I have worked a lot of overtime, I had the money. The part came in today and I asked for "The ridiculously expensive battery cable" the had on back order. Somehow the $65 cable had suddenly become an $80 battery cable. I swear they jacked up the price just to get back at me for my smart mouth.
I was robbed, and they didn't even use a gun.
I went back home and got to work. Nothing went right. After a couple of hours, I have the starter roughly in place, but my right arm just got too darn tired to hold the starter up, twist it and push it in place, so I called it a night. After a day of work I am only good for a couple of hours of hard labor. It's hell getting old.
Maybe after I get the truck running, finish updating the Z, restore the Jensen(s), I will have to think about selling them off and buying only one toy.
NAH, I don't think so.

No comments: