Sunday, April 26, 2009

Great-Grandparenting

This Saturday was A's twenty-first birthday, so Mrs A volunteered to take care of Neeko for the weekend. Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday morning. She had such a great time taking care of him overnight a couple of weekends ago, that she figured it would be fun.
HAH!
Neeko is six months old, and just learning to express himself. As in expressing his displeasure at not being entertained constantly. He has quite a temper. He can also out-stubborn a couple of aging grownups.
We have gotten used to our peaceful, quiet home, and three days of disruption was a bit too much. Mrs A reached her limit and beyond, but still troupered through. I admit that I chickened out and went down and worked on the truck just to get away.
I tore out the starter. What a giant pain in the ass. I have everything torn apart, and the new starter ready to put in, but I want to put in a new battery cable, which I want to get from the Chevy dealer, and their parts department is closed on the weekend, so it gave me an excuse to knock off early and drink beer. I should be able to get the part tomorrow, and then I need to start putting it all back together.
We very much enjoy having out nice peaceful house back to ourselves.
One evening and overnight is OK, but I don't think we will be volunteering for any extended babysitting any time soon.
Neeko is the pukingest baby I ever did see. Every pair of PJs, every blanket, my sweatshirt and jeans, as well as every piece of clothing Mrs A wore. The washing machine has done overtime this weekend. The rug will need a good shampooing.
I'm looking forward to a good night's sleep.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, that sounds not so fun. I'm sure A really appreciated it, though!

Good luck with the cars!

Al said...

Sarah: I feel sorry for new parents. We can send him home when we've had enough.

The cars are coming along slowly. But progress is being made.

sue said...

That's why I'm glad I had my kids when I was young. I don't think I could handle it now... I have the greatest grandson in the world as far as temprement and so forth (we even say he's an alien he's so nice and always has been - he's 11 now) and he still can wear me out!

Al said...

Sue: We're good for overnight, but that's about it.