Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Bluegills

The Boeing facility here in Renton is built on the shores of Lake Washington. It is always nice to take a break when the weather is nice and go for a stroll along the lake shore.

There is a bulkhead along the shoreline, and when the weather isn't too windy, you can see quite deep in the lake.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a medium sized fish hanging around one of the flat areas by the bulkhead. After observing it for a while, I figured out that it was a bluegill. It would swim here and there around the flat area, but never left for more than a few seconds. I figured that this was probably a Momma Fish tending a batch of eggs. I went on line to check, and indeed Bluegills are nest tenders.

At another flat spot a little bit deeper, there was a second fish, acting in the same way.

Every day for the next couple of weeks, I took a break at some time in the day and wandered down to the lake to check on the fish. The two Momma Fish faithfully tended their nests.

I went out there this morning, and the Momma Fish were both gone. But they were replaced by a couple of hundred baby fish. In observing their early lives, I had become involved. They were somehow MY baby fish.

I sure hope they don't expect to get allowances. Or move in.

2 comments:

~grey said...

That's great that you got to witness such a great event in nature!

Al said...

~grey: Few people in and around the city take the time to pay attention to the world around them. But I am a displaced country boy, so I take what I can get.