Friday, May 19, 2006

Demons

In my post yesterday one of the words I was talking about was Demons. You know, the things that live in the closet in the back of your head. The ones that you really have no control over. I have seen otherwise controlled and rational people lose control over something like a bee, or a spider. I really don't have that many. As I mentioned I have a fear of going blind, but that is not usually on that sets me off, except if you knock my glasses off. I will flat kick you ass for that. It all has to do with feeling vulnerable.

One of the things that gives me the willies is centipedes. When I was overseas, I was sitting on an ancient coral wall at Nagagusuku castle, when something bit me in the ass. I rose to the occasion and saw a centipede about a foot long and as big around as your little finger come out of a hole in the wall. I did an inspired tap dance on his little forehead.

About 20 minutes later I turned white as a sheet, began sweating profusely and shivering. Since we all were medical personnel, they all knew what to do, but no one would suck the poison out, so they rushed me to the hospital, where they gave me a shot of epinephrin and benedryl (I think). I was in the hospital for a couple of days. The doctors said that the poison from that variety of centipede is about as venomous as rattlesnake venom. So centipedes give me the creepy crawlies.

And don't get me started on Earwigs.

4 comments:

Daphnewood said...

That is understandable why you would hate centipedes. I would freak out over any bug the size of my finger. I don't like bugs. My insect demon though is a grasshopper. I cannot handle the sight of them. Once, one was on my driver side window and I refused to get out of the car until my husband came outside and shooed it away. They scare the heck out of me. The worst time was when I was in OK City and one got under my shirt. I looked like a freak dancing around crying begging my step dad to get it out of my shirt.

Al said...

Wonder whatever caused you to fixate on Grasshoppers? The one that got under your shirt?

Daphnewood said...

I don't know but it was probably when I was young. They look almost human with those big eyes but evil human if you know what I mean.

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! » » »