Friday, May 26, 2006

RATS!

I have lived in the same house for 19 years. I like my house, it is a lot like me, a little run down but very comfortable and utlitarian. I have never before had a problem with rats. Until this week.

When I came home on Tuesday, as I pulled in the driveway, I saw a brown rat sitting on top of the garbage can. I hate rats. So I went and got the BB gun and made a nice neat little hole in his head. Crude but effective. I thought he was a loner, but I was wrong.

When I came home on Wednesday there were three more in the garbage. The kids are throwing stuff in the garbage, and not puting the lid back on, attracting the disease carrying vermin.

After chewing the kids out for attracting the rats, I set about to dispose of the vermin. I went and got the BB gun and waited in ambush. The had created a burrow in the rockery, so I sat out of sight waiting for one of the foolhardy to stick his or her disese carrying heads out. After I disposed of one. the others got the idea that it might not be a good idea to come out, and I got tired of waiting.

What to do now?

I was coming back down the stairs when I noticed a can of THRUST. For those of you not familiar with the product, THRUST is starting fluid for your car. Ifthe car is a little reluctand to start becuse you haven't run it for a while, spray some THRUST in the carb and it will probably start. It is basically ether in a spray can. HMMMM. Ether is also an anesthetic.

Spray the THRUST in the burrow. Wait for a couple of minutes, then drop a match. Whoomp!

I haven't seen a rat since.

BWAAHAAAHHAAA (evil laugh)!

10 comments:

Daphnewood said...

Al, it has to be pest season. I live in a rented townhouse that is set up like row houses almost. We had some people recently move and now we have been seeing HUGE roaches. Not the tiny kitchen type but these big black ones. Last night I woke up because something was tickling my arm. Yeah, you guessed it. One big black bug on my arm and flicked that sucker across the room. I couldn't sleep until after taking the kids to school today. I HATE bugs! Now I am vaccuuming and washing my sheets. How dare a bug get on MY bed! So I was gleefully laughing right along with you when describing the BB gun and homemade bomb. Go Superman!

Al said...

The only time I've ever had to deal with roaches is when I was overseas. Don't know if I could sleep at all after the little suckers were crawling on me!

Rick said...

Al, check your attic! The wife and I were sitting on the back deck last spring when a rat jumped out of a nearby tree (three feet away) and scampered across the roof to a vent cover. "Good luck," I thought, "there's an 8-guage wire mesh between you and the attic." And there was, but the little buggers had chewed through it... weeks before! Cost me $1100 to have the insulation sucked out and replaced! Then a major trim-job on the trees. Pest company said it's been a really bad couple of years in the Great Northwest.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Ah, a subject close to my heart...RATS!

I've blogged about our rat problem several times.....we hear them in our walls and under our floor at night...it's been driving me INSANE!

I won't go into a long schpeel about how I think we got rats under our house but we have set out traps (caught two rats in one trap on Saturday night!!!) and we've set out poison too. I think they're getting wise to both methods of destruction though...lately, they won't even TOUCH the bags of poisoned pellets.

I told The PK we're going to have to hit the farm store for some new poison till we FINALLY get rid of them.

Yuck.

Al said...

Rick: The eaves are thirty feet in the air with no access, so unless they have started making little rat-ladders, I am hoping I am done with them.

PQ: I still like the idea of using a little ether if you can find their burrow. The explosions are just bonus.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Spoken like a real man!

What's the fascination with blowing things up with you guys, anyways??? ;)

(I have no idea where their burrow is and I REFUSE to crawl under the house to find out. It's just plain CREEPY under there...with lots of places spiders and other creepy-crawlies can hide and jump out on me. Uh-uh...NO WAY!;)

Michael said...

Rat sniping... I like it!

Al said...

I miss the old days when you could go doen to the dump with a >22 and do a little plinking. If you tried that now, you'd probably have the Department of Home Security on your ass in a hurry.

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»