Friday, May 12, 2006

The Mercedes



So here is a picture of the 1972 Mercedes I went and looked at last night. Not a very good picture. I didn't take enough money with me to pay for it last night, so I have to go back tonight to complete the deal.
The good stuff: The body is almost perfect, only one small crease in the passengers side rear door. No rust. It appears that it had 76,000 original miles on it. It starts and runs, does not smoke. It is all there, and most things work. It has collector car plates, so you don't have to pay for tabs ever. It is old enough that it is exempt from emissions regulations.
The not so good stuff: The speedometer is broken. It has a very distinct vibration starting at about 40 miles an hour. It isn't real bad, but it is noticeable. It is missing one hubcap. The dash is absolute crap, and will need to have something done immediately. The glove box only works with the key, the latch being broken. The headliner is beginning to sag, the trim in the back seat is bad. And face it, these cars a butt ugly in a cute sort of way.
I think I will call her Green Jean.

6 comments:

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Green Jean? That's cute.

And hey, I had (back in the day) an old piece of crap Chevelle....one shock was out (so it leaned to one side really bad), it had no power steering or brakes (I had to damn near stand up on the brake pedal to get it to stop) and the dash was almost completely gone (along with the headliner...which hung in tatters all over the car) but it got me from point A to point B, know what I mean?

Have a great weekend! :)

Al said...

You too PQ (I made a poem!)
The worlds record for miles put on a car was a Mercedes a lot like this one. It went over a million miles.

Daphnewood said...

You named her?! Actually, we name our cars too. The old beat up truck is called Rusty Ann, the SUV is called Tex and the minivan with all of its lights and buttons is called Inspector Gadget.

Al said...

Daphnewood: not always. This one is a kind of joke on my mom. Her name is Jean and the only thing she knows about cars is what color they are

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » »

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... Children27s medical bracelets Individual health insurance pg 2 California mitsubishi dealer buspirone Age regressioncompact ice machines Mitsubishi motors cars Property insurance for small business 20 business hartford insurance http://www.cheap-ambien-3.info/Nude-camping.html business insurance