Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Thrill a minute

The ride to work today was a thrill a minute. If anyone was watching Monday Night Football they came to realize the word North is in Northwest.

The roads this morning are a sheet of ice. I have lived around snow most of my life, and I think today was the worst I have ever seen.

I snowed some yesterday, and then most of it melted off, Then it started up again, but the water under the smow froze up. Then some of the snow on top melted, but a cold air mass from Canada invaded from the North, and it did what they call a flash freeze. Created this nice ice sandwich with snow filling.

Maybe it is all a plot by the Canadians to take over Microsoft.

I only live four miles from work, but I live on top of the hill and work is at the bottom. Going down the hill isn't too bad unless the light changes and you have to pretend you tried to stop. I say pretend, because it is not something you have any choice in. You can try, but it ain't happening, so it makes more sense to run the light than try to stop.

Your brake pedal is not your friend. I like having a stick shift so you can use the engine as the brake without stopping the tires from rotating.

I was only out of control briefly, a couple of times, when I was testing conditions to see how things were.

They were bad.

I told Mrs. A that I didn't want her driving today. If she was dead set on going to work, call a cab. And I gave her an extra $20 to pay the cab with. Only thing ism there are no available cabs, since about a million other people had the same idea.

Stay warm, stay dry, stay safe.

4 comments:

Rick said...

Why fight it? We only get these gifts once in a blue moon... TAKE THE DAY OFF. (Some of us have to pretend to work 'cuz we do it from home anyway.)

Al said...

It's like this.....
The road in front of our house was bare and dry. Once I was up and dressed and on the road, nothing was going to make me turn around.
I may be a little stubborn.....

Michael said...

I just left the car parked... fortunately I work out of my home. If the roads were empty, I wouldn't mind driving on 'em... like you I drive a stick shift and can get around on slippery stuff just fine normally. It's everyone else on the road I worry about... ;-)

Al said...

I have never failed to get where I was going. The only times it has gotten REALLY interresting is when some idiot has done something right in front of me.

Luckily there are very few idiots out at 6:00.