Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Hump Down Day

Today is, of course, Hump Day, but for my flow day, it is also a down day, which means there is no airplane in this position. It is a day to catch up on things, do maintenance, and complete training and certification requirements. I have a bunch of required Lean Manufacturing training to take care of, but it is pretty boring and I can only get one done at a time before I get really drowsy. So far I have completed eight of the ten requirements.
So one of the things I do, is occasionally when they bring tours through the factory they stop in my area, and I explain to them how lean manufacturing is supported by the shipside support process. Yesterday, a tour came through from Bloomberg News Service. As they approached, one of the mechanics put in an item to the SAT system, which turned the status light yellow, I processed it and sent it on its way and the light turned green again. They came over and wanted to know what had just happened, so I had to explain the whole thing to them.
At the end of our discussion they asked if they could quote me. With the approval of the Boeing rep, I told them OK. SO, coming soon the something or the other my words may be quoted in some manner or the other.

No comments: