Friday, March 17, 2006

St. Patrick's Day

So Happy St. Patrick's day. Go hoist a pint. Today everyone is honorary Irish.

I grew up believing that we were Irish, mostly. Oral history held that the Warrens came over fro Ireland with Lord Baltimore's son and helped found the colony of Maryland in like 1695. It was with great dismay that I found out that the Warrens that migrated were most likely English Catholics, not Irish at all. From there I discovered that the Warrens were probably not English either, but Norman. The duc De Varren participated in the Norman invasion of England and the Warrens were minor nobility in England.
Holy crap!
I was more likely related to The Sheriff of Nottingham than Robin Hood! My whole idea of who I was came crashing down. Not able to leave it there, I trudged on through History.

The Normans were the people living in Normandy. The land in that part of France had been ceded to them by the King in a treaty, mainly because he couldn't control them. The were the "North Men" or Normans. The northern coastal region was occupied by the invading and raiding Vikings, who intermarried with the locals and controlled the area.
Now this I could identify with. Raiding berserker Viking. Oh yeah!
Luckily my mother's side of the family had some Irish in it, so now on St. Patrick's day I can be an Irish/Norman Berserker Viking.

Have one for me.

4 comments:

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I'm a Heinz 57 kinda girl, I guess....just a mut! I know my mother is Dutch and German (with a maiden name like Klinger, how could she not be German, right???)

Well, at least you know your roots....and you're still part Irish so it's all good! :)

Al said...

Yeah, I'm an American, which is a melting pot kind of thing. Scotch, Irish, German, Maybe English, Norman, French, Native American, and who knows what else.

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info » » »

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »