Monday, September 18, 2006

For Clyde II

In a e-mail conversation with Rick the other day, he made a remark about "What if someone in the future was looking at your blog, what would they see?" or some such.

Although I like the poem, I suppose it might not make a lot of sense to anyone without some context.

When I was first learning my trade as a Manufacturing Engineer, I was working at Boeing Aerospace's Electronic Systems Division in Kent. We were doing some state of the art electronics Research and Development.

I had a lead man named Clyde Sparks, who was quite a character. One of his favorite sayings was "We are all just monkeys walking around with suits on". So I wrote the poem.

BTW a hire-suit is a tuxedo like you rent for a wedding, which is of course also known as a monkey suit.

So although the poem is light and maybe even humorous, it asks the bigger question about determinism.

We like to maintain the illusion that we are in charge, but who's to say we arent marching to someone elses music. Are we in charge of our destiny?

Or are we just monkeys in suits?

2 comments:

Rick said...

We're allowed to think we're in charge, until God decides to thump us on the back of the noggin. Usually "an accident" of some sort.

Al said...

Usually something over which we have absolutely no control, just to remind us.