Sunday, July 27, 2008

Frankenhealey Arise!

I got in the jetting kit for my Dellorto Carbs, and I got up this morning and installed them in the car. It started up fairly easily, but still will not idle or run smoothly. YET
That didn't keep me from filling up the radiator, puting air in a flat tire, and getting it to move under it's own power for the first time.
It snarls, it belches, it roars. I backed it out of the driveway, roared and belched down to the end of the block, turned a u-turn, roared downthe street, and came to the realization that I had no brakes.
It eventually stopped, and I backed it up the street and put back in the laboratory.
Neighbors cameout and shook their fists. Women covered their childrens eyes and hid them in their skirts. I think I saw old men preparing torches.
The monster lives!
It also leaks water badly. So I am tearing the water pump off of my spare engine and getting it ready to transplant. When I went to tear the old water pump off, the first thing I did was strip off the corners of one of the bolts. Another little setback.
BUT I ACTUALLY DROVE THE CAR!
For a whole two blocks. So far that comes to about $750 a block.
On the other front, the honeydo list, I spent the entire day on Saturday working out in the yard. First I trimmed a bunch of limbs on the apple tree and cherry tree, cut them up and put the in the recycly bin, The attacked the Himalaya blackberry bushes.
Or did they attack me?
If you are unfamiliar with them, they are one of the more viscous of Mother Nature's inventions. They have nasty hooked thorns that snagin clothng, and especially flesh. Although it has never been proved, I think they move in when your back is turned. Attempt to back out, and they grab you by the ankles, and invariably draw blood. I have at least a dozen battle wounds from my encounter. If you are a particularly effective briar warrior, you can avoid facial injuries. I have none above my elbows, so it is a feat to be remembered. I figure about three years of weekends ought to be enough to get the back yard under control.
If I don't bleed out first.

6 comments:

Michael said...

Congrats on moving the Frankenhealey under it's own power! Brakes, probably a good idea... I'm just saying! ;-)

Al said...

Michael: I was doing fine until I got to the stop sign. It does stop (eventually), after a short period of panic and frantic activity. Heck, that's why we have an emergency brake, right?

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I haven't picked blackberries in a LONG time....but I do remember those thorns (and not fondly either!!!)

YAY on the Frankenhealey! :)

Al said...

PQ: Once the blackberries take hold, it is a bitch to get rid of them.

Sarah said...

Very cool!! Congratulations! And continued good luck.

Al said...

Sarah: Now is a time for patience. I want to drive it, but I guess brakes come first. Then the water pump.

Back to the laboratory