Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A Little Visit


Mrs A. is in seventh heaven. R and "i" are staying with us for a couple of days. R. has some business in town, so she is staying with us. Mrs A is nuts over babies, so having a rugrat around is her idea of a good time.
"i" is a week short of three months old. He is a cute little thing. He is just getting good at being aware of things around him, and beginning to babble and coo. We held extensive conversations last night. Didn't understand a thing, but we both enjoyed it.
Of course Molly, the Shi-Tzu was beside herself with jealousy. Mrs A's lap is HER place, and here this strange looking, strange smelling, strange looking creature was usurping her place. We had to make it up to her by paying special attention to her when not messin' with the kid.

Here at work, yesterday was one of those days I hate. In order to do my job, I have to access a lot of different computing systems. This requires an annual requalification test. This is not and easy test. You have three hours for each part, and there are two parts. Six straight hours of test, with your job on the line. If you fail, the take away your clearance. You get a second chance if you fail. If you fail a second time you get sent to a bonehead requalification class. Consequences get more severe each time you fail, with termination the final consequence. So there is a lot at stake. Six hours of very technical test. By the time I got through, I was exhausted.
I test well. Some people don't. They tense up and coouldn't spell their own name correctly. I sure feel sorry for them. One of the guys in our group, who is excellent at his job and very knowledgeable fails the test at least once every year. I think the whole thing is a bunch of crap.

At any rate, I finished on time and passed both tests, so that particular pile of crap is behind me for another year.

10 comments:

Rick said...

Ah, yes. The beatings will continue until morale improves...

Al said...

Rick: One of my favorite sayings.

Anonymous said...

Oh! Look at that little punim!

Al said...

MCP: I think he looks like Uncle Fester.

Sarah said...

Aww, look at those cute little cheeks!!! I don't want on yet, but they sure are adorable!!

Al said...

Sarah: I recommend going direcctly to being a grandparent and skipping all the crap in between.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Oh he's abso-friggin'lutely ADORABLE!

We used to have to get recertified every year to do criminal background checks and I HATED it. There'd be like thirty of us in the room taking the test and NO ONE could leave until EVERYONE was finished. I second geussed myself so much, I was THE LAST PERSON still testing. Everyone was waiting on me to finish. I felt like an ass...which sure didn't help me out any. GAH!!!

I passed but I still felt like a damn dummy 'cause it took me so long!

rennratt said...

I hate when Big Corp. relies on threats and fear to "keep people in line".

Test knowledge, yes. Just do it practically. If people are hands on, make tests 'hands on'. Not everyone that tests well WORKS WELL.

And that Little One? Makes me want to grab his little cheeks and talk baby talk. And I am NOT one to talk baby talk.

He's adorable! R looks healthy - and most important, CONTENT in that photo. It's great to see them both doing so well!

Al said...

PQ: Like I said, I test well, so I am always done early, double check things, and still get done early. Never failed a test, but there is still that WHAY IF anxiety thing going.

Renn: I am not a baby talk kinda guy, but i find myself talking in a stupid voice. So far being a mom seems to be great for R. I just pray that it lasts.

Al said...

Sue: Let's hope they stay that way.