Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Do Gooder Seminar

I hate it when Manageent gets a wild hair up their ass and decides we need to go to some "Educational" seminar.
Today was an all day seminar called "Working at the speed of trust". The main point is that distrust has a very real economic penalty in the business world.
If you can trust others, you don't have to spend as much time double checking everything. Like this is rocket science or something. Give me a big "DUH!"
Mind you, I work for a company that majored in obfuscation. If our upper management makes a statement, the first thing you always have to do is ask yourself "What is the real agenda here?"
It is not an open environment. Underneath everything is an attitude of controlling the flow of information.
I do understand that some things, like the P8-A are sensitive, and subject to ITAR restrictions, but a lot of what we do is just commercial. I have been told that I cannot talk to my own wife about things that are common knowledge at work. Hey, it's not like I was giving out sensitive information to the press.
So, here we are attending an all day task that is supposed to teach us how great it is to talk straight and build an atmosphere of trust, while our management eats, sleeps and breathes obfuscation.
A mixed message at best.
And a total waste of one day of my life.
At least I got paid for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh come on... I "trust" lots of people at work. But that doesn't mean they aren't complete morons who can just have their worked turned in without checking it first!!

Trust! (But Verify)

Al said...

NCP: Or as I put it during the seminar "Trust your fellow man, but count your change."