Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Territoriality

I read a book back in the 70's called "The Territorial Imperative" I believe it was by Robert Aubrery, but am not sure the name is exactly right. The point of the book is that territorial behavior is an instinctive drive that powers a lot of behavior in the animal kingdom. We all have heard of and understand a lot of this drive. If you have ever owned a pet, you know how they are driven to define their territory by marking it's boundary.
The book goes on to suggest that a lot of human behavior is driven from this very basic instinctual drive.
I remember an incident on the farm in Idaho. A developer had bought up a piece of property to the north of us, and was planning to subdivide it into five acre "ranchettes". One day we noticed someone in our pasture setting a line of stakes. We went out to inquire what they were doing. They said that they had surveyed the property, and the fenceline was some twenty feet too far to the north, and they were reclaiming the property.
The fenceline had been in place and was the accepted boundary between the two pieces of property for over fifty years. We pointed out to them that the laws of adverse possession stated that if the boundary had been accepted and observed for a certain period of time it was legally the boundary between the two pieces of property.
We also let them know that we would defend the boundary be all legal means. They were trespassing on our property and needed to leave. We also let the know that we would defend the boundary by means of our negotiators, misters Smith and Wesson, and if necessary, Remington and Winchester. They left and the matter was settled.
I had a similar dispute with one of my neighbors, settled the same way.
How much of this was driven by a basic instinctual need, and how much by rationality?
Last night at work, one of the shop people (a known asshat) told my second shift counterpart that the chair he was sitting on belonged to the shop, and was reserved for their use ONLY. Rather than cause a fight, he gave up the chair and went back to the office. He sent me an e-mail, so I needed to act on it this morning. Admitted, we had borrowed the chair, but there were six chairs in the area, and very seldom were all six in use. I forwarded the e-mail to the factory manager along with the comment that we need to work together.
He in turn sent out an e-mail to all of his managers that they needed to do their best to accommodate us.
This is a new situation for the shop and us. We have never had a presence on the factory floor, so everyone needs to learn how all the new relationships work, why we are there, and what we can offer. One of the first possible reactions is to just shut us out. I am doing a fairly good job on first shift, because I have a lot of connections with the shop. They still don't understand why I am there and what I am doing, but because they see me accepted by people they respect, they accept my presence.
Unfortunately, my second shift counterpart does not have the history with the shop that I do. So the shop people are defending their territory.
First we need to establish our right to be there, then we need to work with them to show our worth, and show the that we are trustworthy, and then develop relationships.
Admittedly a long process, but first we have to establish our right to be there.
When I first went out to connect up our equipment, someone had spread drawings and equipment over our area. I asked them to move so that I could hook up equipment. I pointed out the signs that said it was my area. They were less than pleased an remarked that they just might disconnect my equipment. I suggested that it might not be a good move, moved them out and hook up my equipment. The next day, they had occupied part of the area, and I moved them over to the unoccupied area, and actually helped them solve their problem. I haven't had a problem since. I have actually had a couple of shop people come by and thank me for helping them with their problems.
Like I said, it is a process of establishing out right to be there, and our right to the territory.
And did I mention that this is something I believe in and love to do?
A long term plan of mine is coming to fruition, but still needs lots of work.
It's what I do.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Ah, battle lines are drawn, eh? Good luck to you to work it out, and to your second on the other shift!

Anonymous said...

People tend to get over their "issues" just as soon as you prove yourself to be of some worth.

I always try to arrive bearing either a catered lunch or cookies.

No one can resist someone with cookies.

Al said...

Sarah: As they learn what I can do for them, they mellow out. They also learn I take no crap from anyone.

NCP: A good strategy, that. I usually go with chips and salsa since this is more of a testosterone fest. Mrs A brought home chips last night, I just need to get some salsa.

Anonymous said...

For god's sake man, getting a third level manager involved over a chair?

Hey look outside the south end of the 20 building. There are SA dollys FULL of chairs waiting to be tossed into the landfill.

Go get one.

Sure the shop guy is an ass. But being a passive agressive peon makes you a....passive agressive peon.

It sounds like you want a fight too. Keep taking the long way around the barn, and getting superintendants involved, and you will probably get one.

Meanwhile, try to understand that that shop guy usually walks half a mile to and from the factory, and is padding around on concrete for eight or ten hours a day, and you may just understand why a chair gets to be an overstated issue.

Right now, with rights to be there or not, you just some button down, docker clad impediment to their workday. Those people have been together for years, and you are less significant than an fng. They could care less about your position, you education, or your duties.

If you prove to be of any help to them, that will change. If you stop tattling on them to mangement three levels above them.

Al said...

OK, so maybe the e-mail to the factory manager was a little overkill, but the carving out of a piece of territory on the factory is not a simple process. I don't take crap from anyone.
The other side of the coin is that I am there, solving problems for them, showing them how to do stuff. But the shop guy was quoting his manager, so I had to go above him to make it clear we were there with permission. Specifically to avoid it becoming personal.
I have gotten a lot of compliments from shop guys in the last couple of days for helping them.
These are totally new crews, so they don't have a history. This is a new way of doing things, and everybody has a learning curve (myself included).
It will all work out in the end.
And I am no docker wearing button down kind of guy. I started in the shop and have a long history with the people in the shop.
You jump to a lot of conclusions.

Al said...

And Mr or Ms Anon: This is my Blog and I write what I damn well please. Not to mention anon comments mean you don't have the stones to leave your name.