Thursday, January 29, 2009

Just a Nice Day

So far this has been a hunker down kind of winter.
About the time I took off for Christmas, the weather turned to crap. Unusually cold temperatures, snow that came and stayed, torrential rains and flooding. Hell, Latteland was cut off by road from the rest of the world for like a week.
Just stay home and take care of the house and family. Very little chance to enjoy anything. Just hunker down and take care of stuff.
Today was just a nice day.
No temperatures in the sixties or anything, but sunshine and temps in the 50's. But good enough that I could get out and change the oil in the truck.
This might be a nasty chore to some, but to me it is a positive affirmation. I could go out and do something I don't mind doing. No freezing fingers, no rain in the face, just a chance to do something that needed to be done. I just loved the chance to lay under a car on a piece of cardboard, working on a car.
A feeling of accomplishment that helped a lot to get rid of the "hunker down" mentality.
Now if it would just hang around long enough that I could accomplish something on Frankenhealey, I would be, if not happy exactly, satisfied in a simple elemental way.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Life's small pleasures are great, aren't they?

Al said...

Sarah: They provide a supportive structure that helps define life. We must have our rituals.

Michael said...

The forecast is for sun breaks and temps into the 50s this week, so maybe you'll get to spend a little time wrenching on the beast!

rennratt said...

I'm ready for better weather, too. I can't wait to start working on my garden!

Routine (especially outside) is good. Hope that further snow avoids both of us!

Al said...

Michael: It would be nice. I would like to get the engine back together completely so I can at least start it once in a while.

Renn: Now is the time I like to break out the seed catalogues and imagine growing all sorts of exotic plants and vegetables. Without all the work, of course. No garden ever grows as perfectly as the one that exists only in your head.-