Thursday, July 06, 2006

DOGGOD

The other night when things were working on towards dark, on the Fourth, a thunderstorm cell wandered through and put on it's own little fireworks show. Kinda upstaged the later stuff. It also reminded me of this:

a couple of years ago in August, we had a most unusual weather day. Thunderstorm cells moved in one after the other all afternoon and evening. I love storms, so I spent a lot of the day outside where I could watch things.

We were living in a tiny 800 sq. ft house in West Seattle, just my son Nathan and I. At just about dark, I noticed we were just about out of milk, so we walked up to the Safeway a block away. It was a warm windy evening with occasional flashes of lightning and claps of thunder.

We had gotten our milk and were on the way home.

As we passed a side alley a deranged dog came roaring out of the alley at us. His eyes were dilated and there was foam at the corners of his mouth. He was showing his teeth and growling. It was not a small dog, but I believe a Rodesian Ridgeback. I think all the thunder and lightning had unhinged him.

Scared the hell out of me.

As he charged at us, with my right hand, I pushed my son behind me, and turned to face the dog. I pointed at the dog and yelled "Get the hell away from us!".

At the exact moment I pointed and yelled, the entire sky lit up and a lightning bolt hit very, very close by. The Dogs eyes got so big it looked like they would pop out of his head, as he skidded to a stop.

He turned tail and "Yipe, yipe yipe" as he turned tail and ran the other way as fast as he could.

The release of tension and sight of the dog running away was so immediate and so intense that my son and I looked at each other and broke out in laughter. We laughed off and on for the rest of the evening.

Maybe he thought he had tried to bite God.

5 comments:

Rick said...

It's not nice to fool with Father Nature. ;)

Al said...

Now if I could just do the same thing whenever I wanted to.......

Daphnewood said...

when does the new job start? keep us posted about it. I am curious what they expect out of you. Glad you had a great 4th of July. Remember, I made eggrolls using your recipe and you should know that there wouldn't be any left over. Sorry I haven't been around much lately but you and the family have been on my mind. How is Mrs. A. holding up? *hugs*

Al said...

I am sitting at my new work station typing this. My phone isn't hooked up or anything. Right now my job is very open-ended. On the org chart there is a square with my name in it that says "MMA Processes and Proceedures" I have no idea what that means, but I have a meeting with my boss tomorrow to figure some of it out.

Mrs A. has been VERY stressed lately, so I called and arranged for us to go to a counselor tomorrow. Can't hurt.

Al said...

Denny: some of my relatives would not be surprised to find that I had been "Hung"