Saturday, July 01, 2006

IT'S ALIVE!

After a couple of very frustrating weeks, I have gotten the home computer back to working. It had gotten so bad that I couldn'y get it to do anything, so I did the dreaded RESTORE. which puts it back to the configuration it was when you bought it.

Since I had installed a high speed cable connection after I bought it, it wouldn't recognize the cable modem, and I didn't have the drive disc for it since I had Comcast do that when I had the cable hooked up.

I had wanted to put in a wireless router anyway, so I decided now was a good time to do it.

After I got the wireless router working, I downloaded McAfee anti-virus and did a full virus screening. It came up with 1124 spyware and questionalble programs. It took me all day to run and delete all of the crap, but after I got done it ran. The only problem is that it still takes about 20 minutes to boot it up from off.

I also installed an administrative lock at turn-on. Most of the spyware and stuff was gotten by various kids downloading things from the internet. They have already asked me for the password three times in the last 24 hours. I find excuses.

I think they are beginning to get the idea that I am not going to hand it out.

4 comments:

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I HATE trying to figure out how computers work...it drives me crazy and makes me feel like an idiot.

Congrats on getting your computer up and running! :)

Al said...

Thanks PQ. All I can say is: Brute force and ignorance

Michael said...

Computers are getting so cheap, it's easier to just buy a new one when they get that bad ;-) Or at least, that's my excuse...

Al said...

Michael: believe me, I have thought about that. Like maybe getting a cheap one for everyone else to screw up, and keep your hands off mine!