Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Airstream repairs

As II mentioned in a previous post, the brakes on the Airstream don't work properly. They work OK when you start oout, but as you go along, the pedal fades until there is just aboult nothing there.

Brakes come in useful when trying to stop a big heavy motor home.

Since I don't have time to work on it myself, I called a repair service. I told them what the problem was, including my diagnosis. The front calipers are toast. From sitting in place for so many years, the calipers rusted, and would not release.

New calipers, new pads, new master cylinder, flush the entire system. Do all of the other pre-trip stuff.

$1200.00

OUCH!

If I had the time, I could do it myself for half of that.

6 comments:

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Frustrating, isn't it?

Vehicles sure aren't cheap!

Al said...

PQ: I have always done my own work, but I just don't have the time right now. Talk about sticker shock!

Michael said...

On the other hand, still well under the *value* of the camper... just keep reminding yourself of that!

Al said...

Michael: Believe me, that is the first thing I keep chanting to myself. About 1200 times a day.

Denny Shane said...

Good thing to you told then what the wrong... it would be more $$ if they had to spend a half day finding the problem.

Al said...

Denny: It also alerted them that I knew all about diagnosing and repairing things, so they couldn't try and BS me.