Thursday, June 19, 2008

Car Stuff

You non-mechanical types can go on your way, because I'm going to talk car stuff here.

Now that I have rebuilt the carbs, the next thing on the list is timing the car. Since the distributor is in an awkward place, under the intake and carbs, I want to be sure the timing is right before I assemble things.

I got out the timing light and remote start button, and went out to face up to it. I hooked up the battery and starter button, and clicked the button until the timing mark lined up at 10 degrees before top dead center, and moved the plug wires around so the rotor was pointed at number one plug. If all is good, the timing light should come on when the timing mark is lined up.

No such luck. The timing light did not light at all. So I got out my circuit tester and checked continuity on the coil wire. It was fine. Checked continuity on #1 plug wire. Everything is OK. Came to the conclusion that the timing light is not working. When I was adjusting the distributor, the hold down screw fell down into the edge of the motor, so I had to remove the distributor to get it, There is a recess in the casting thaat is about 1" X 1", and sure enough it fell right in that hole. It is also about 1 " deep so you can't get to it. After a frustrating half an hour I managed to get it out and put it back using a spoon file to hook it out.

Everything back together, but I still hadn't checked the timing.

The distributor is the kind that has a bar on the bottom that is driven off of the oil pump. It fits in a slot, so there isn't a great deal of adjustment. Drop it in and it is either right on or 180 degrees off.

So I got my can of Thrust starting fluid (ether in a can) and sprayed a little into each intake port. If the timing was on and the circuit had continuity, it should fire for a second and then stop.

So I sprayed, and then kinda hid behind the windshield. Pushed the remote starter button. Flames shot out of each port as the engine turned over.

Thus I learned a couple of things. First, the timing light is broken. If it wasn't getting fire, no flames. I had installed a Pertronix Electronic ignition module and it was working properly, otherwise, no fire, and lastly, with a 50/50 chance of having the timing nuts on, it was of course 180 degrees out.

It will be a simple chore to loosen the distributor, turn the rotor 180 degrees, move the plug wires, and give it another try.

With fingers crossed.

Then I will be ready to start assembling the intake and carbs, run a gas line, hook up various hoses, and start it for the first time..

2 comments:

Michael said...

Getting closer!

At least you found the screw you dropped, I've dropped screws working on the bike and had them never been seen or heard from again. It's like they fell through some invisible wormhole and wound up in another dimension or something.

Al said...

Michael: That's what I thought had happened to this one. You could barely see it down at the bottom of the hole, all covered in oil.