Thursday, June 26, 2008

PAYDAY!!!

If only all of my paychecks looked like today's. I have a bunch of overtime on it (36 hours) , so I stuck another grand in savings as a hedge fund against a possible strike in December.

I hate the time away from family, but that paycheck sure looks nice. In a shallow materialistic sort of way. (BWAHAHAHAHAH, I GOT MINE!)

Things are about to change. After the first bird rolls out of the factory, the second is the Static Test bird. They put it in a huge jig and simulate landing and takeoff and all sorts of things to test the airframe. But it will contain no electronics, so there will be little or nothing to do until the third bird hits the line.

I will be going back to my old area, in fact will be sitting in my same desk, starting on July 14th. And I will be doing it on dayshift. The plan is to keep me on days for the rest of the time. I am supposed to split my time between the commercial and military sides of the house. But then none of this is for sure.

On one hand it will be great to be back in a normal life, but on the other, it will mean waking up to an alarm clock.

Oh well, nothing in life is perfect.

8 comments:

Rick said...

Good to know the Big B doesn't bother testing the electronics against all that nasty taking off and landing crap. 'Cuz nothing could possibly go wrong at those phases of the trip. I think I'll walk.

Al said...

Rick: You got it all wrong. The first bird is the flight test bird. It flies around and gets all the landing and takeoff and flight stuff. The second bird does not fly because they test it to desruction.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I've hated my alarm clock for YEARS now. No human creature should ever be expected to be up at 4:45 AM, dammit.

;)

Good luck!

Al said...

PQ: I once saw an alarm clock that you turned off by throwing it at the wall. Sounds just about right to me.

rennratt said...

I think I flew in one of those test planes two weeks ago.

Do these test flights include the east coast?

If not, you have some heavy competition in Raleigh/Newark/Bangor.

Al said...

Renn: No test planes over there. Maybe a few test pilots, or pilots that think they are.

Anonymous said...

Hallelujah for OT!

Al said...

NCP: The money sure comes in handy, but it is hard on the home life.