Sunday, June 29, 2008

Weekend

It's Sunday evening, and I am sitting here thinking "Oh, so this is what this weekend stuff is all about."

The temperature has been in the high eighties to low nineties this weekend, which is rare enough around here. In fact Seattleites are sone of the pickiest weather gormets anywhere. First they bitch about the cold, the gray and the wet. As soon as the sun comes out, if it is over 82 degrees then they bitch it is too hot.

Saturday we worked in the yard for a couple of hours, then I played with Jenny, the Jensen Healey for a few hours. I have it kinda running, but I know it won't run right until I get the jetting kit for the Dellorto's. It smokes like hell right now, because the rings are probably frozen in place from sitting for over 20 years. Since it was hot outside, after setting the timing and diddling around with the idle mixture, I pulled off the old convertible top and frame, and took it in the basement.

The frame is just fine, but the old top had some bad spots, so I had decided to replace it. I got the new top in this week. I know like diddly shit about replacing the top. The first thing I needed to do was replace the tie-downs. The old top mechanism was without them, but the spare hard top had a set, so I pulled the set out of the spare hard top and switched them to the convertible top. Problem was that the screws weren't the same, so I had to drill the holes up to size and counersink the holes. At that point I had had enough and quit for the night.

Today there was a going away party for one of Mrs A's Nephews. He is in The Guard, and is being deployed to Iraq. It was nice. Pleanty of food, and beautiful weather. It was the first time Mrs A and her sibs had all gotten together in about 20 years. The usual miscreant is her brother Bill, who lives outside Beaverton, Oregon. He was not expected, but showed up.

They organized a croquet tournament in the back. I got caught up watching the Mariners game (they actually won a three game sweep), so they were about halfway through the game, when Steph had to leave to go clean up. Mrs A replaced her, but she went to do something, so I replaced her. In last place.

Tim was WAY out in front with no one close, so I decided to make it a game. I am darn good. So I ended up going from last place, and passed Tim at the final two wickets to take the lead, clear the final pair, and miss the final stick two shots in a row. Tim won, but I made it interresting. Mrs A was accused of bringing in a ringer, but I had fun showing them how it was done.

I was glad in a lot of ways that I missed the final stick. I had scared the crap out of Tim, but he got his moment of victory. He would have been pissed if I had beaten him, and I would have felt bad about winning anyway. Better he wins.

All in all, this is what weekends are all about. Accomplish a few things, have some fun, see some family, enjoy some weather.

Oh, and have a few beers.

There is a Killians Irish Red Ale calling me.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds like we both had just the weekend we needed, though I would have enjoyed it if mine had included family, too. Glad you guys had fun!

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Heh...my brother drank a couple of Killians at lunch yesterday too. :)

I had two beers last night and feel more hung over today than if I would've drank 10. GAH!

Al said...

Sarah: Glad you had a good weekend. I know you had been in a rotten mood lately. Nothing like a ggod weekend to bring your brain around to a better place.

PQ: Killiand is one of my favorite Industrial Brews.

Guess you should have gone for six instead of two.