Monday, June 16, 2008

The Day After

Hope all you dads had a womderful Father's Day.

Mine was wonderful.

First of all, I had the day off, which has been been a rarity lately. Not only that, but the weather was fantastic. Blue skies, sunshine, and warmth after weeks of gray fifty degree days and rain. Of course I had chores to take care of.

The Airstream had developed a leak adound the roof vent, and the interior got all wet in the last raiin, so I went into the hardware store and got some roof sealing stuff. Got up on the roof and stripped off the old cracked sealing compound. That took a quite a while. As long as I was at it, I sealed around the bathroom vent.

Watched some TV with Mrs A, took a nap.

Grilled a flank steak, sauteed some mushrooms in butter and a little salt. Fantastic potato salad. Cheesecake with berries for desert. Followed by a food coma.

Both of my kids called, and it was great talking to them. They are both doing great. After all that has happened over the last couple of years, it is great just to hear from them and know things are going well.

Later, there was a knock at the door, and it was V. coming back. He had spent the weekend with his dad. And there was his dad. He was holding E. in his arms. And behind hi was the DIL.

If you have been coming around here for any length of time, you know that Mrs A. and the DIL have been at war for a couple of years. No need to go into details. Mrs A has made peace feelers a couple of times, but got no reaction. I had kinda put it out of mind, but it always was back there. It left a hole in my life, that while I could live with it, it always felt incomplete. Kind like when you lose a tooth, you always find your tongue going back to the empty spot.

The DIL and Mrs A. made peace, and sat down and had a drink together. They all stayed for a couple of hours, and things were as they should be. It was wonderfull.

Mrs A and the DIL making peace was the best Fathers day present I have gotten in a couple of years.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Happy Father's Day, and congrats to Mrs. A and DIL! (And the rest of you for living through it!)

Al said...

Sarah: There were timmes I cam close to losing it. I did tell them both (separately) that they were both acting like a couple of twelve year olds, and it was time to just let it go.

rennratt said...

Wow.

That is AWESOME.

Al said...

Renn: It only took a couple of years and a lot of persuasion.

sue said...

Oh, dear...how late can I possibly be? I'm glad to hear you had such a terrific Father's Day (and actually got a day off! whoot!).