Saturday, February 21, 2009

Damn Truck

I am thoroughly convinced that mechanical things have a malevolent streak. For example the house knew I was sick, and tired from working many days on end, so that is why the plumbing chose to plug up right now.

The same goes for vehicles. Last night when I got off work, the truck would not turn over. A friendly co-worker gave me a jump, but when I turned the key, it would only click, not turn over. The guy had a tow strap, so we just hooked it up and at 5mph in second gear, popped the clutch and it started up. I was going to stop at my mom's on the way home, but didn't dare shut the engine off, not sure it would start up again.

There are several possible reasons for this. The battery could be down. The relay for the starter could be bad, or the starter could be going out. The battery could be down because the alternator is going out. The bearings have been making noises for several months, but it was still alternating, so I haven't done anything about it.

The result is that I am driving the Z for now, because I am just too damn tired to do anything about the truck. Not that I mind driving the Z. I love driving the Z, and have been wanting to drive it for some time, but was waiting for the weather to turn a little nicer. The Z is a lot of car. It wants to go fast and corner fast and zip around. I am surprised I have never gotten a ticket in it.

So I am in no hurry to fix the truck.

On another front, I called my cousin Kelly in Texas. We talked for an hour and a half, and barely scratched the surface. After all, we haven't talked in about ten years. It is great to hear that he is doing well. He manages some properties for his folks and plays music in his spare time with friends. I'll have to find out more about his musical connections next time I talk to him.

It will be soon.

Six more days until a day off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Starting the countdown...

Al said...

NCP: Four and counting.....