Monday, February 16, 2009

Nasty SH#&

I can fix just about anything.

Wiring, no problem. Appliances, I can generally do just about anything, sometimes better than the supposed pros they send out.

Construction, love it.

Plumbing. Hate it. I can do it, but I would rather go to the dentist, and I hate the dentist.

The upstairs shower wasn't draining well. So I pulled off the drain cover and fished out some stuff, used the plunger to get out a bunch more. Mrs A poured some Drano in the drain. Result: It totally plugged the drain.

Damn I hate plumbing.

When I got home, I stopped and read the paper, and fortified myself with a beer. I knew this was going to be nasty. Went and got the ladder and set up under the drain for the upstairs bath. Pulled apart the drains and of course took a sower of nasty water. Pulled the trap and plumbing apart. There were shapeless hairy things hanging out of the drain pieces. Pulled it out, and manually (That is MANUALLY, as in using my fingers) pulled the stuff I could get to out. While supressing my gag reflex.

Cleaned out all the pieces of pipe, reassembled them and went upstairs to check it out. It worked, but leaked a little underneath. Had to tighten a couple of fittings, and everything works just fine.

But, man do I feel icky all over. I will have to take an extra long shower tonight to get right of the nasty feeling.

Damn I hate plumbing.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Ugh, ugh, ugh and more ugh!! I think this makes me very glad that I'm not as handy as John around the house--I'll paint, he can do the drains. Hope you feel cleaner soon!

Al said...

Sarah: Half an hour in the shower, and all is well. Still gives me the shudders when I think about it.

Anonymous said...

If it can't be fixed with a bottle of liquid plumber, I ain't touching it!!

Al said...

NCp: I tell Mrs A that the only reason she keeps me around is to take care of the nasty stuff she doesn'r want to touch. Thing is, she doesn't deny it.