Friday, February 06, 2009

Fly Away!

V is in San Jose for a regional Debate thing this weekend.

This is the first time he has travelled by himself. We took him to the airport and watched while he checked himself in, and walked with him to the security check-in. Told him to call us when he got in.

This is a big thing for him. First time getting himself through the stupidity of the airport and security, meeting people in the boarding area, traveling without family.

I have this weekend off. Two whole days! Nineteen days without a day off. The first thing I plan to do is sleep in tomorrow. But I also know that when your body gets used to getting up at zero dark thirty, I am going to wake up tomorrow at zero dark thirty. I hope I will be able to heave a sigh of relief, turn over, and go back to sleep.

Mrs A is going to meet her sis for lunch, so I will have the middle of the day to myself. If the weather is halfway decent, I plan on working on Frankenhealey. I'd like to get the waterpump on, hoses connected, radiator, fan and belts back on so that I can start it up, and maybe even get the idle set on the Dellorto's. But maybe not.

When she gets back, It would be nice to take a shower together and.......well never mind.

Naps will be taken, regardless.

Mrs A has been really bummed lately. Her daughter and partner borrowed a couple of hundred bucks from us because they had fallen behind on the rent. They promised to repay when they got their income tax return. They got the income tax return, and of course there were a lot of reasons they could not pay us back. She takes this as a very serious breach of conduct. I don't expect a lot from my fellow human beings, so it is no better or worse than what I expect. Never loan money you cannot afford to write off. She acts like it is a personal failure on her part.

Plus whenever the daughter blows us off she trys to make her mom feel like it is her fault. Mrs A trys to pay me for the money that I got stiffed for, but of course I won't let her, because it isn't her fault. But it severely bums her out. She obsesses about how it must be her fault and everything. She looses sleep over it.

I stopped off and bought her flowers on the way home last night because I know how upset she is, and I love her and hate to see her so bummed, and want to show her how much I love her.

It helped some. Maybe having a little time to spend together this weekend will help.

Got a lot of stuff to try and cram into two days.

3 comments:

Michael said...

I can't sleep in anymore. I stopped using an alarm clock about a year go unless I need to get up unusually early. Otherwise, my eyes just pop open at the same time every day. On weekends I'll lay there sometimes thinking that maybe I'll go back to sleep but that's rare.

I'm with you on loaning money. I never put it in the form of a loan, I just tell them it's a gift and ask them to pass it on to someone else that needs it when they can. I don't like having that obligation influencing my relationships with friends and family.

Sarah said...

Hope the weekend is going well so far, and you've managed to cheer Mrs A up. How's V doing?

Al said...

Michael: I know exactly what youmean. If I sleep in late, that translates to about 7:30.

Sarah: Well, I'm sick as a dog right now, but Mrs A is doind better.