Friday, February 13, 2009

Facebook

First of all, I don't really care for social networking computer systems. They all seem to me to be, well kinda sophomoric. But that may just be my anti-social curmidgeonly side speaking.

Carol and I are road crew for a Christian rock band, Morning Light. They mostly do shows at detention facilities. The message, while consistently Christian, is more oriented towards "Hey, we can have a whole lot of fun without drugs and alcohol". Since the band and crew are mostly recovered drug users and alcoholics, they know what they are talking about.

John McBride is the leader of the group, although his wife, April is the heart and soul. They recently created a Facebook account, and sent us an e-mail asking us to check it out. So Wednesday night I went to check it out, and as those things go, you have to have an account to view an account. So I did.

When I created the account, there was a thing to add friends, which was gleaned from our e-mail contacts list. I noticed one of Mrs As friends, so I added her. I also saw my Uncle in Mexico, so I added him.

On another side vein, I have a cousin that I grew up with that I lost contact with about ten years ago, and I have been trying to find him for a couple of years.

On an impulse, I searched for him, and lo and behold, got a hit. Not sure that it was the same person, I sent a message asking if this was my cousin. The reply was that indeed, it was.

I sent him my e-mail address, and he replied and sent me his.

I will be giving him a call soon, and look forward to a long conversation getting caught up. So much has happened.

I'll probably have to set aside a couple of hours for THAT phone call.

I think the time difference is a couple of hours, so I'll have to take that into account.

So maybe Facebook isn't a total waste of electrons.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

It's an easy place to waste some brain cells, and time, but it can also be a great way to reconnect and to keep up with people through wall comments and statuses when you just don't have time for long conversations frequently. Welcome!

Al said...

Sarah: We are the Borg. You have been assimilated..........

Michael said...

Facebook is about the only social networking site I've bothered with. It at least proves useful for keeping up with friends and family.

Al said...

Michael: If it does nothing else other than getting me in touch with my cousin, it was worth it.