Monday, May 14, 2007

Close but no cigar

At lunch today I was perusing Craigslist, and came across an add for a 1976 Datsun 280Z for $500.00. In the pictures it looked pretty good, so I called the guy, and he said it ran but needed some work.

You know how they say a picture is worth a thousand words, but those words can be lies. Somebody had given it a rattle-can paint job without cleaning it up much, so it was covered with bubbles and rust spots.

It also didn't run. We could get it to fire and almost run, but it never would run for more that a second or two. If it would have run I probably bought it, but I wanted to at least be able to drive it home. It had wiring problems and a bunch of little hoses that dead ended. It was nothing I couldn't work out and in time, but I have enough projects for now.

Oh well, maybe next time.

5 comments:

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

And you know, there will ALWAYS be a next time for new projects! :)

Al said...

PQ: Mrs A made me promise that every time I bring a new car home I have to get rid of one.

If I brought the Z home I would have had to get rid of this old beater pickup I have sitting in the driveway.

Anonymous said...

I was gonna say Mrs. A would have killed you if you brought home yet ANOTHER car. I am a little miffed at my hubby and the size of the garden he planted which he will not be home to take care of because he works 100 hours a week and I & the kids get stuck watering and weeding and then have to harvest and make him exotic recipes he find on the internet and watch him sit back with a full stomach while he says "now aren't you glad I planted such a large garden?" oops! did I just vent?

Al said...

Daphne: Know what you mean about the garden. When I decided to plant a bunch of vegetables, I spaded the garden, planted the seeds, pulled the weeds. No one wanted to help except when it came time to eat the results.

Al said...

Now I'm looking into buting an RV. Geezerdom, here I come.