Friday, May 11, 2007

One step closer

I have taken another step closer to Geezerdom.

I love the outdoors and camping. My whole family tent camped when I was a kid, and I have a lot of very good memories of the family camping.

For my 15th birthday, I asked if my cousin Kelly and I could go camping WAY back in the mountains, all by ourselves. We lived out of a pup tent, and foraged most of our meals. I fished for food. We brought along the minimum necessary to survive. We had a great time climbing mountains, hiking and fishing.

When I got a little older I took up backpacking. If you couldn't carry it on your back, you didn't need it. Little dome tent, ultralight gear. Sleep on the ground, no pad.

About six or seven years ago, I gave up and got an air matress, which was soon followed up by a queen size inflatable bed. Somehow the rocks and roots had gotten harder and always found a way to end up directly under my butt.

This last winter I bought a Honda Super Quiet Generator. It is small enough that I can carry it with one hand, and quiet enough you can stand right next to it and carry on a conversation without raising your voice. I have compromised my ideals for the sake of convenience.

The only step left in my descent into geezerdom is buying an RV.

2 comments:

rennratt said...

RVs are cool, but hotels are even better!

I used to be a fan of camping and mountain climbing.

Until I went camping - in a 3 man tent (with SIX PEOPLE). In the mountains of West Virginia. In FEBRUARY.

Now, I don't think you could PAY me to camp.

Al said...

Mrs A. loves camping, but she has certain rules. The camp ground musy have showers. No showers, no go.