Thursday, May 24, 2007

Obsessive/Compulsive

Both Mrs A and I have OCD to some extent. I mean, obsessive compullsive behavior is a normal charater trait.

It is the little voice that asks you if you remembered to turn off the lights on the car. I have paid attention to that voice and gone back to find that yes, indeed, I had left the lights on.

As you might guess I tend to be a packrat. Tools and cars. I can never have enough of them. Mrs A an the other hand is somewhat of a neat freak. Fortunately they have a medication for that. But sometimes we get on each others nerves.

She will go off, and declare that the entire house is a pig sty, and rush around cleaning, but not a lot get's done. She will take the garbage wastebasket and take it to the kitchen to empty it, where she notices that the counter is not clean, so she will stop and clean up the counter.

While she is cleaning the counter, she notices that the salt is out, so she puts that away, but notices that the spices are messy, so she starts organizing the spices, when she notices that someone has put the aspirin in the spice cabinet, so she she takes the aspirin and puts in in the medicine cabinet. She checks the expiration date as she puts it away. This starts her checking the expiration dates of all the medicines in the cabinet, and finds some expired medicine.

She goes to put it in the waste basket, and there is none, because she took it out to the kitchen to empty it.

"Damn, do I have to do everything around this place?!"

About this time I remember that the oil needs changing in one of the cars, go out and smear some dirty oil on my hands, lay out the cardboard and go lay under a car.

6 comments:

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Oh my God...I think me and Mrs. A are related! I do the same damn thing! ;)

Rick said...

Yup, The Wife does that, too. Best to stay the hell out of the way or risk being relegated to a closet somewhere.

Al said...

PQ: Truth be told, I do it too, but of course it is an entirely different set of tasks. Clean up the shop, fix whatever. As soon as I get one thing started, something else comes up.

Rick: Thank the Lord I always have at least one car that needs work, to give me an excuse to get away.

Anonymous said...

I do the same thing. My husband starts to give me a lecture how a little bit of organizational skills would make my cleaning more efficient and less time consuming. I just shoot him "the look" and he gets quiet.

rennratt said...

I do that kind of thing as well.

Maybe it's a "girl" thing?

Al said...

Daphnewood: I prefer to just get the heck out of the way. It's safer.

Renn: It may well be part of that whole maternal nest building thing.