Wednesday, October 17, 2007

KIDS!

I had really not envisioned myself as being the parent of a teenager at this point in my life. I had things all planned out. I knew when my kids would be getting out of school, when the house would be paid off, when Social security would kick in. All planned.

Throw in a divorce, and adopt my grandson, and The Plan is no longer valid. According to the original plan, I would be retiring next January. With the new and improved plan, I can't retire for another ten years.

I really don't mind working. I like my job, and I work for a good boss, and work with people I like. The work is challenging and I have to use my brains, remain calm under pressure, be creative, and technically skilled.

But I would like to have the option of coming in tomrrow and tell them it's my last day.

Yesterday V. didn't go to school. He got up, but went back too bed after I left for work. He had been complaining of a major headache the night before, so that in itself is not surprising.

But when I got home yesterday, he wasn't at home. He had gone to the Mall.

The rule has always been "If you are too sick to go to school, you are too sick to go out and play." He knows this. He called from the Mall at 8:00 to say he was on his way home. Didn't walk in the door until almost 10:00.

"Who did you ask if you could stay home from school?"

"No one."

Who did you ask if you could go to the Mall?"

"No one."

This conversation went on for some time. Finally he announced he was going to watch a movie and then go to bed.

"Oh no you're not. You are going to go out in the kitchen and wash dishes, no movie, and then to bed."

"Can't I wait until later to do the dishes?"

"Look you selfish little snot, it may come as a surprise to you, but other people besides you live in this house. Those other people are trying to sleep. It is not your right to disrupt everyone elses life because you are so self involved that you don't even consider them!"

The dishes got done, along with some grumbling.

Some times I wish they hadn't changed the laws so you can't physically discipline your kids, 'cause I sure would liked to haul off and belt him one in the chops.

Anyone want a slightly used, untrained teenager?

5 comments:

Michael said...

I'll pass on the trade, I already have a know-it-all teen aged son, I don't need another one!

Al said...

Michael: I didn't want to swap, I wanted to sell. Then you could have a matched set.

Rick said...

Ha! That's the dirty trick, doncha see... If you don't sell 'em before they're outta the "cute" stage, yer stuck with 'em for life.

Anonymous said...

Seriously... It is refreshing to see someone who has a rule that we had. Same thing. Too sick to go to school, too sick to go out. I got another one, but I'll blog it... ;)

Al said...

Sue: I think every kid tries the "I'm too sick to go to school" and amazing recovery once the schoolbus goes by.

A day of layin' in bed with no TV or computer games is usually a cure for that particular malodie.