Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Too Much Drama

L. is coming off of a tough relationship, which she jumped into after a failed marriage. Her current boyfriend was waiting in the wings for her to get free, and slipped in the minute there was an opening.

Mind you, I really like this guy. I believe he genuinely loves her and her kids. He does well with the kids, and he is easy to be around and work with.

Last night L. told him to back off. He has been actively pursuing her to move in with him. She moved in with us to make up her mind about what she wants to do. And what she wants to do is finish her schooling as a Pharmacy Assistant, have her own place and take care of herself.

He did not take the news well. We could hear him sobbin from downstairs in the living room. He finally came downstairs and told us goodbye. It was real difficult, because I really like the guy, and seeing this six four 220lb man standing there blubbering like a 10 year old who just had his bike stolen was not easy.

I really felt for the guy, because I have been in his shoes more than once, but as L.'s stepdad I have to support what is right for HER.

I believe it is best for her to go back to school and finish her training, and I know it is not an easy decision for her.

Both Mrs A and I spent quite a bit of time single before we met, and I think it is good to have some time on your own, to be comfortable living by yourself. After you have learned to stand alone, you make a much better partner.

If he truely loves her, he will wait until she is ready to commit.

But it was a little more drama than I was wanting, and it was hard to not get involved.

8 comments:

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

You're right, of course...but seeing that (and going thru it) is NEVER easy.

Al said...

PQ: I can definitely feel for the guy, because I've been there. It a pretty shitty feeling.

Anonymous said...

Oh - such a hard thing to have to do!

Rick said...

I felt the same way about my ex-daughter-in-law. There were times when I liked her better than The Only Child, but ya can't choose your family, I guess.

Al said...

NCP: What, Keep my mouth shut?

I want to support L., but I want the boyfriend to also know that it is not anything that he did.

Al said...

Rick: Yeah, you can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family.

Anonymous said...

I feel for you. I loved our ex-son-in-law as my own, but the marriage didn't last. They are still friends, but agreed they married under false pretenses - neither of them really knowing what love was. I can feel for you, and agree... if it is meant to be he'll be there when she's ready.

Al said...

Sue: She needs some time, and he needs to back off. If it was meant to be, things will turn around.