Friday, October 31, 2008

Car Wars

If it ain't one thing it's another.
My work vehicle is a 1996 Chev S10 pickup. Bare bones, four cylinder stick shift. Gets good gas mileage, and will cary a ton.
Last night it blew a head gasket. First on Wednesday the temperature started cycling wildly, so I put in some more coolant. Then yesterday, the temperature suddenly went up to the red zone. Only for a couple of seconds. I stopped and put in almost a gallon of coolant. When I started it up, I was surrounded by a big white cloud. Blown head gasket.
So today I made an appointment with the Chev dealership to fix it. The tab will be about $1200.00.
I could do it myself, but I just don't feel up to it. The work area under the deck is currently occupied by Frankenhealey. Seeing as I have the engine torn partially apart, it won't move, so I would be working out in the rain. I have spent enough of my life under the hood of a car out in the rain that I no longer have any desire to do it any more.
Wouldn't you know, I just paid off my Visa.
Oh well, that's what plastic is for.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

John likes to point out that "one time expenses" shouldn't worry me when they hike our Visa bill above what I expect.

I like to point out in return that we have "one time expenses" almost every month.

So long as you pay off the plastic on time or as best you can!

Al said...

Sarah: I find it dismaying that the minute you pay the damn thing off, something always comes up to run it up again.

rennratt said...

If it makes you feel any better, the ignition in my van had to be replaced before I even DROVE IT for the first time (it's new to me).

Now, one week later, the check engine light is on...

I am seriously considering the Lemon Law.

Al said...

Renn: Sometimes I love them, some times I hate them, but we really do need them. Good luck. Maybe it's nothing complicated.

rennratt said...

Have you ever heard of a Speed Sensor?

That's apparently what the problem is.

Al said...

Renn: Speed Sensor? Never heard of it.