Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Lookin' Up

The IAM and Boeing have reached a tentative agreement, which the union is recommending the membership accept. I am sure the membership is ready to come back, so I expect to see things return to crazy next week.
This also meant putting off the SPEEA negotiations for a day.
The IAM offer looks pretty good. I haven't seen the exact details, but what they are letting out seems like they have reached a reasonable accommodation.
I hope SPEEA and Boeing can come to a similar reasonable agreement without the strike. The Company had sure better not try to lowball us, because I believe that the membership is ready to walk. Our contract runs out in December, with a one month cooling off period if we reject the offer. Unless the offer is comparable to what the IAM got, I think we have the solidarity to support a strike.
But I sure as hell don't want to be walking the line in January.
If we vote to strike, Christmas will most likely consist of IOUs redeemable when things get back to normal.

3 comments:

sue said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I'm with Sue! :)

Al said...

Sue and PQ: Everyone is optimistic that the IAM will return to work by Monday, so it will be good to have things back to "normal".