Monday, December 18, 2006

Aftermath

The storm was on Thursday, and today is Monday. There are still 1/4 million people in the Greater Seattle area without power.

Plus the temperatures have dipped into the low 30's and high 20's, and it is expected to stay cold for the next couple of days.

It is very hit and miss as far as power goes. You'll be driving down the street and there will be power on one side of the street, none on the other.

There are no generators to be bought anywhere. We were out and about on Saturday, and just out of curiosity I asked everywhere I went. They had pretty much sold out first thing Friday morning.

The check I was expecting came in Saturday, a couple of days late to do me any good. I had Mrs A. deposit it this morning. Vinnie and I may go down to Fry's tomight. For Christmas he wants to get RAM for the computer. I am going to get a new computer with part of the money, so my old computer will become his. He plays a lot of WARCRAFT on it, and has a problem with lag. We will go talk to the computer geeks and see if upgrading the RAM will improve performance. I think that once it is his, if he gets rid of the thirty shortcuts on the desktop, it will improve the performance. I am trying to decide if I want a desktop or a laptop Each has it's advantages.

I understand that my two brothers are still without power. I guess that's what happens when you move out far enough where there are trees all around. They have generators, so they will get by. At least as long as they have gas...

4 comments:

Daphnewood said...

Glad to hear you are okay. You guys are getting hit hard this year. Be safe.

We don't have TV but everyone of my kids has a computer. Mouse plays WoW too but I only let her play when her uncle or grandfather is playing along. The men can get pretty raunchy with the girls. Anyway, I am now hearing the "my computer is too slow" kind of thing. I am wondering how much this is going to cost me. Let me know what you find out about V's.

Al said...

As of this morning there are still 150,000 people without power.

In general, the computer is too slow because it doesn't have enough RAM. Unless it is REALLY old, processor speed isn't the issue. You can speed things up by removing the shortcuts from the desktop, because they are using RAM

Michael said...

If you have less than 1 GB of RAM, then adding RAM will help World of Warcraft a bit. Upgrading your video card is also a candidate, as WoW is very graphics intensive.

Yeah, I play too! ;-)

Al said...

Michael : 356 meg of RAM. I was thinking of upgrading the video card too, but the current card also has TV, so I would hate to upgrade and lose the TV