Thursday, December 21, 2006

Batchin' it

Mrs A. is with her son and his family in Utah now. She called last night after she got there to let me know things had gone fine. She was so proud of herself. Five years ago I don't think she would have been able to travel by herself. I just hope I haven't help create a monster.

It was so wierd this morning. I mean, our mornings are so ritualized. She gets up at 5:15, goes down and watches Joyce Meyers, lets Molly out to pee, and comes up to take a shower. I get up at 6:00, and she will just be getting out of the shower. When I get out of the bathroom, it's downstairs to take my medication, collect my badge and cell phones. Kisses and out the door.

Except that this morning it was all different.

I stood there by the front door with a vague feeling of discomfort because a large piece of the morning ritual was missing.

Molly, the Shi-Tzu, is neurotic. She is "sensitive". If she sees the suitcases come out, she gets all wound up. When I took Mrs A. out to the airport last night, when I got home, the dog had been sick, pooed and peed inside and looked like she was expecting to be beaten. We don't beat the dog, ever.

So I sat down in the recliner, and she jumped up next to me and lay down and didn't budge for at least an hour. After an hour of reassurance, she went and got her toy and brought it too me, and we played for about 45 minutes, at which point she pointed out that her dish was empty. She followed me around all night, no doubt making sure I wasn't going to disappear on her.

Whe Mrs A. and R. had their fight, Molly spent most of the next week hiding behind the speakers in the Music Room. She kept barfing and developed diahrea, and we ended taking her to the vet. I think it was just nerves.

Today is the winter solstice. The shortest day of the year. up here in the Northern tier, that translates to about eight hours of daylight.

It is also my last day of work this year.

YEEEE-HAW

3 comments:

High Power Rocketry said...

: )

Michael said...

I took today off too... I needed the extra day off, really I did!

Al said...

Michael: Slacker! I'm Jealous,

r2k: :p