Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Other Shoe

As I said, the Show was only part of what is going on.

First off, on Saturday morning R. called. She said she was doing better than she has in a year and a half. I don't know if that is the truth or just her saying what she thinks I want to hear. Hope it's true.

Then L called to see if she could stay the weekend and bring Quana. Quana is a really great kid, and we haven't seen her in a couple of months. She came and spent the night. Mrs A loves that kid, and it was good for her to be able to see Quana.

L. is leaving her significant other, and needs someplace to land on a temporary basis. Our house will be that someplace. She has been with this guy for four years, and during that time he has never supported her and the kid. In fact he has been dragging her down. They have had to live in unpleasant circumstances most of the time.

She is trying to get her life together, and having him dragging her down is like trying to swim with lead weights on your ankles.

Her breaking up with him is a good thing for her, but he is not handling it well. He swallowed a handful of pills and ended up in the emergency room. He tells her he will kill himself if she dumps him. I told her to wait until he quits breathing before calling 911. Trying to control her by threatening suicide is an ultimate form of cowardice.

I took yesterday off to get things ready for her to move in.

I'm not exactly thrilled to have her and the rug rat move in, but if it helps get her started on the right road, and it is temporary, I'll do it.

Wish me luck.

6 comments:

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Well, best of luck to L. for starting over....it sounds like leaving him is the best thing she can do for herself and Quana.

And best of luck to you for having house guests for a while...:)

Al said...

PQ: Thanks. I think things will be a lot better this time, since it is only L and the little one. But she and her mom CANNOT live under the same roof for any length of time.

Rick said...

You have WA-A-A-A-Y more patience than I'll ever have. Bless your soul.

Al said...

Rick: Yeah, but I'm about to run out. The last six months has been pretty quiet (for us), and I guess I had time to recharge my batteries.

Anonymous said...

wow you have your hands full as usual. Good luck but I know you will be the perfect host as usual. And Mrs. A will probably love having the little one around. I love how you always stick by your family.

Al said...

Daphne: Sometimes it stretches me to the limits, but I am not one to just sit around. I am optomistic enough that I am always willing to give it one more try.