Sunday, August 05, 2007

Seafair

Latteland goes throught this annual insanity known as Seafair. It's a whole weekend of parades, fireworks, airshow and unlimited hyrdpoplane racing.

The Blue Angels are in town and put on fantastic show, a quite a bit of which I can watch from my deck. During one maneuver they come around in a diamond with the two trailer planes catching up and joining the other four.

The do this right over my house. they are close enough that you can read the numbers on the planes. If it doesn't make your hair stand on end, you better check your pulse, 'cause you just might be dead.

Beer is comsumed, and much partying goes on.

Around the perimeter of the race course there is a log boom, and people anchor off the log boom in their boats. Everything from rowboats to yachts.

Monday morning there will be a lot of hangovers and sunburns, and memories.

I was one of those kids who made little hydroplanes out of wood and had races in the streets dragging them on rope behind his bike. Back when they were powered by Allison or Rolls V-12 aircraft engines. They were truely "Thunderboats". A boat could be put together by a few fanatics and go out there and join in the fun.

Today it is all about turbine power and multi-million dollar budgets. I still love it. but it seems a little more disconnected.

There is always controversy. Who jumped the gun, or cut someone else off. It's good theater, and once in a while the underdog wins.

Today I am rooting for the Oh Boy Oberto! because it is Art Oberto's 80th birthday, and he has been a long supporter of the Unlimiteds. Usually it was one of the also-rans, but he won a few heats here and there. They have a brand new boat that they have been dialing in all year, getting a little bit faster every race.

Go Oberto!

PS:

Art Oberto's boat won the race! what a nice 80th birthday present for a really nice guy.

I dated one of his daughters a long, long time ago when I was in college. We got along, but just didn't click.

6 comments:

Michael said...

Hey you got your wish, the Oh Boy! Oberto won! I missed the finals but watched some of the preliminaries on TV before heading out on a ride.

Al said...

Michael: I was busy getting the Airstream ready for a trip next weekend, so I missed most of the races. Turned the TV on and watched the last race. It was great seeing Art Oberto finally win a race on Lake Washington.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Sounds like a good time! And I would've been one of the hungover ones, I just KNOW it! :)

Al said...

PQ: Quite often, I have a BBQ and everyone comes over to watch the races and the Blue Angels, but not this year. But that didn't keep me from having a good time.

Rick said...

Dude, don't ever admit to dating the daughter of an 80-year-old!!!! (I don't care how manly he might have been.) ;-)

Al said...

I did think about that when I was typing up the post, but no one knows how to do math anymore. Except a bunch of old farts. Besides, maybe I was her "Boy Toy".