Wednesday, November 21, 2007

T-1

Mrs A. took the day off today to get ready for Turkey Day. I thought about taking the day off to help, but figured I was way safer going to work today. When she gets wound up, she is a dynamo of work, and she expects you to be, too.

I explained many times that my family lived on a farm, and while things were always sanitary maybe not a lot of attention was paid to details. When you have that many people sharing space, it is impossible to keep things absolutely in order. Our house always looked "lived in".

But it was always a warm and inviting place. I don't know of anyone ever feeling uncomfortable. No one was afraid to sit on the sofa. And on the other hand there was no garbage scattered around, and you didn't have to move things out of the way to sit down.

Comfortable and inviting.

My house I like to keep in "Two Hour" shape.

Keep in good enough shape that if you got a call that someone who was going to come over, it would take no mare than two hours to get the house in condition to receive guests.

Of course Mrs A and I disagree about where that boundary is.

So good luck to all of you preparing for a Family Thanksgiving. Those of you not hosting, give the people running the show a break. Volunteer to wash or dry dishes or clear the table.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

6 comments:

Rick said...

Good gawd! Two hours??? If people can't tolerate my house the way it is, they can stay home!

Al said...

Rick: I hear you, brother. It is a compromise with Mrs A. She recovered the kitchen chairs this week, and mentioned maybe covering them in plastic. I told her HELL NO!
I've been in houses that had plastic over the furniture before. Not exactly the kind of place I would want to live.

rennratt said...

I'm with Rick.

When people want to visit, I explain that

1. I live in the middle of nowhere

and

2. I have 3 dogs.

I'm not a pig, but I also don't live to dust/vacuum.

Regarding tomorrow:

I'm going to my friends' house. My g-f is baking the turkey; the rest of us are bringing sides.

Al said...

Renn: Like I said, it is a compromise with Mrs A. She would cover the furniture in plastic and follow me around with a broom and dustpan if I allowed it.

Michael said...

Happy Thanksgiving Al! Don't eat too much today... ;-)

Al said...

Michael: Not eat too much? A nearly impossible task. And to what end?

Happy Thanksgiving to you too.