Tuesday, November 20, 2007

T-DAY Minus Two

We are having our Potluck at work today. There is enough food for a small Army.

Here it is at 9:30 and we have been snacking for a couple of hours. There are several meat and cheese trays, a couple of cheesecakes, and my egg rolls already being scarfed down. As per usual, the egg rolls are going fast. I expect they will be gone by 10:00.

One of the guys brought in a small rotisserie oven and we have a roast going. It smells wonderful in here.

Culture changes over the years. When I first started here, someone would have brought in a mobile home which would be set up as an unofficial open bar. People would disappear to "Go out and coordinate with the shop" and come back a little less stable than they went out.

Over time they tightened up the attitude. Now they have gotten to the point of zero tolerance. Go out to lunch and have a beer, and your job is in jeopardy. I like an occasional beer, but it's certainly not worth risking my job over. That's not too say there aren't an ample number of people that have a beer or six with their lunch. The rule isn't strictly enforced, but if they wanted an excuse too walk you out, that would be one they could use.

I know it is the best thing for the Company, because it eliminates the possibility of lawsuits, mostly.

But I remember a time when we were a family, not so long ago.

When McDonald Douglas took over Boeing, they brought something other that low morals and corruption with them. They told us we were no longer a family, we were a team, and in a team if you don't perform you get cut.

That combined with Lean Manufacturing has made the place more of a business, and it is reflected in faster turn times, lower inventory costs, less waste. And higher stock prices, although they are not doing that well at this moment.

But I really miss the congenial atmosphere, especially around the Holidays.

6 comments:

rennratt said...

I miss that, too.

I am entering year 8 at Destrukto Construction.

When I started (as the receptionist), there were 8 of us in the office.

Now there are over 40. We used to go to dinner for Christmas.

Now I can expect a mumbled "Oh, yeah. Good job this year."

Since I am a boss, I plan to do something for my employees. I don't know what, exactly, but I will do SOMETHING.

Al said...

Renn: When I was in Management, I took my direct reports out for Pizza and beer. We had a great time, but if we did it now, we would all be fired, especially me.

Michael said...

I couldn't agree more Al, things sure have changed at ye olde company. I still refuse to wear the new style anniversary pins in protest of the merger. I buy the old style with the totem logo on it and wear that on my badge holder. Not too long before I have to start tracking down a 20-year pin.

Al said...

Michal: I am about 14 months away from my 30 year pin. So we've both seen a lot of changes along the way. We used to get a lump sum at Christmas, now we just get Some Lumps.

Anonymous said...

I don't know... I have enough problems just having a family at home... maybe easier to not have to deal with that at work too :)

Al said...

NCP: We get along just fine at work, but my group being all Type A personalities, conflict is inevitable. We're working on conflict resolution. Other than taking someone for a walk down to the Lake and beyond.