Saturday, December 29, 2007

Jensen Healey Pictures

Here are some pictures of the Jensen Healeys





This is the rear end of the "donor" car.







One of several reasons it is the donor. The trunk is so rusted out that the straps that hold down the gas tank have nothing to attach to.






It doesn't look too bad from the front. Notice the nice straight fenders, and the 60MPH duct tape holding down the hood









The engine compartment of the good car. Notice the lack of rust.







The right front fender. It looks fixable to me.









Looking forwards down the left side. The fender isn't too bad.

I don't think there is anything that is unfixable. The engine was partly disassembled, so I have spent a quite a bit of time today just figuring out where things go. The biggest problem so far is the vacuum lines are old and brittle. I have already broken a couple and stolen a few parts off of the donor.
Unfortunately the two engines are not identical. The one in the white car came out of a '74 so the vacuum systems are different, and the cooling hose arrangements are different.
I got it to the point I have everything hooked up except the vacuum cannister that has a broken part, and a mysterious round inlet or outlet pipe that I can't find a hose for.
I turned over the engine just in case it wanted to start, but after a 22 year nap, the beast was reluctant to fire. I haven't checked the tiing yet, so I will check that next time I am out playing with it.
I was out under the deck for about three hour this afternoon in the pouring rain. Having a deck to provide partial cover is nice, but several drips appeared in unfortunate places, like right down the middle of my back. I ended up soaked to the skin.
It was sure nice to come in and change clothes and get warm.

6 comments:

Michael said...

Looks like a fun project, I bet the white one will be a blast to drive once it's all fixed up!

Al said...

Michael: I really love driving my '77 Datsun 280Z, but the one regret is that it is not a convertible. I can see myself behind the wheel of the Jensen on a bright summer day, top down, taking on a twisty road somewhere.

Anonymous said...

you're right - you really don't know what the term "time off" means :)

Al said...

NCP: I don't think I could take more than a few days with nothing to do. The Jensens will provide me with many happy hours of pounding and tinkering.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I know where the gas goes in my car...and where the windshield wiper fluid goes....and that's it. I am SO not mechanically inclined!!!

And reading about that rain drip gave me goosebumps!

Al said...

PQ: The ultimate insult was when it dripped right down the back of my neck. Now THAT gave me goosebumps.