Friday, December 07, 2007

Well, at least it's Friday.

I have been wanting to take a day off JUST FOR ME.

Every once in a while I like to take a day off and stay at home and just do whatever strikes my fancy. Read a book, work on a jigsaw puzzle, take a nap, have a beer. Disconnect the phone. Maybe put on some good jazz or blues. Snuggle down on the couch with a comfortable blanket and just tell the world to go to ........well, go someplace else.

I have been unable to do this for some time. Like since the beginning of August, because the kids have been living with us. Having a rugrat running around the house is not conducive to peace and quiet. Don't get me wrong. I love my grandkids, but the way this is supposed to work is they come over and you spoil them rotten, fill them up with sugar and send them home. It is one of the few socially acceptable ways of getting even with your kids. But I keep forgetting the part about sending them home.

I have been waiting for that day when my presence at work would least affect things, but every day lately I have had critical meetings that I need to attend. It's not like production would come to a screeching halt without me, it's just that we are in the critical point in planning a new production strategy and I have a lot of good input, having spent most of my career in shipside support.

This morning I woke up and wanted to take that day. But I remembered that I had a meeting that I had promosed to attend this morning on emergent wiring repair and rework. So I resigned myself to it, got up and went to work.

When I got here, the first thing I did was open my e-mail. And there at the top of the page, the very first item was a notice cancelling the meeting.

It's not like I have nothing else to do, but none of it is critical or has to be done TODAY.

I could have taken my FTW day.

Oh well, at least it is Friday.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least go home early and get an hour (or two or three!!) to yourself today or someday soon. It's *perfectly* acceptable (and sometimes darn necessary) to take a leave of absence from the world in order to have self time. FTW? Take your day, and take care!

Al said...

Sarah: I'm taking a close look at my schedule next week to see if I can't squeeze in a FTW day.

rennratt said...

Absoultely.

Take the day off and BAKE.

That's how I relax.

*I know. I should really get out more...*

Al said...

Renn: Maybe a big batch of jumbalaya made from scratch. I've never done much baking, just an occasional cobbler.

pipper said...

Ok, you had me at, "Every once in a while I like to take a day off and stay at home and just do whatever strikes my fancy." I am a HUGE believer in ME Time! I thought I was the only one!! When I ask people at work, haven't you ever called in sick when you weren't really sick and they ALWAYS say, No! NEVER!" Ya, right? And I have a bridge in Arizona I need to sell you. It's soo nice to actually come across another person that "get its" and also understands that you can't have that ME day when others (aka kids) are around, it just can't happen. I think you might just be my new favorite blogger or blogger soulmate, whichever strikes your fancy, LOL :o) Great post!!

Al said...

Janelle: Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for the compliment. I grew up in a large family (seven of us sibs) and I grew to love my alone time. Both Mrs A. and I will take time just for ourselves. Some people don't understand it, need to be around others ALL the time. No time to contemplate.