Tuesday, December 11, 2007

OOPS!

The post immediately below this is wwwrrrroooooo....

WWRRROOOO..........

The facts were misreported.

In Sunday's Seattle Times in the Parade section, there is a column "Ask Marilyn". The Marylin in question is Marilyn Vos Savant, who is listed in the Guiness World book as having the highest recorded IQ.

She was the one who presented the "facts".

And I believed her. After all if you read it in the peper it must be true, right? RIGHT? Especially from the lady with the high IQ.

Somehow it just didn't seem right to me that the Aleutian Islands crossed the International Dateline. So I went on line and checked.

The International dateline jogs to the west specifically to avoid them.

So I was led down the path once again. I should always check my "facts" before I blog them.

Now who will believe my useless information?

11 comments:

Sarah said...

You know, me with my sucky geography, did kind of wonder about that, but figured it was just me. Does this mean it's Maine? Do they officially get the Easternmost prize?

Al said...

Sarah: Ahyup, that'd be Maine. And I checked.

Sarah said...

Thanks! Trivia night tonight at the pub, and now I'm all set!

Al said...

Sarah: If it WAS true you could have really cleaned up.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I will! I myself am a virtual font of useless information!!!

Al said...

PQ: It just didn't "Sound right" so I checked it out. I should have checked it out before I blogged it.

rennratt said...

Further useless information can be found here:

http://mmstec.umemat.maine.edu/downloads/Sunrise.pdf

Depending on the time of year, the FIRST sign of sunrise can be seen in Maine on top of Mt. Katahdin (the northernmost mountain in the App. Trail - also my stomping grounds as a kid).

There is much math involved, but it's fun to look at anyway.

rennratt said...

sorry about the dead link.

The last part of the link is 'pdf'

Al said...

Renn: Thanks for the link. I may go play there later.

~grey said...

hmmm... a man that would even try to admit he is wwrroooo
incorrect. LOL

Interesting facts...

Al said...

Grey: I wasn't wrrrooooo I was given bad information My only MISSSSSTTTAAAA tactical error was to not check out the facts before I Blogged them.