Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Walking a thin line


I am always walking a thin line with Mrs A. My interrests are not the same as hers (except in the bedroom).


I have confessed before that I am a motorhead. I love working on interesting cars. The Z I bought for $1000 is now worth about six times that amount. I am proud of the work and the results.


I am always running into "Deals" that I can't walk away from. Last spring it was the Airstream. I bought it for $5000. Low book on it is $14000. I had a guy stop by the other day and offer me 7500 for it in cash. Of course I told him I would't accept less that $10,000.


Yesterday I found a deal on Craigslist that I couldn't turn down. Tw0 1973 Jensen-Healeys and a spare motor for $500. The first car could be put on the road with a little effort. The main problem is that it has not been run since 1985. It has been stored in a heated garage all the time. It has some body damage from beng flipped. The hood and front fenders are dented, but I don't think it is anything I can't fix. The second car has been rear ended but the damage appears minimal. Included in the deal is a complete spare motor with a cracked cylinder sleeve. These cars are powered by a Lotus dual overhead cam sixteen valve engine with dual Stromberg side draft carbs.



I knew the time was ripe to strike. I had just bought Mrs A. her TV for Christmas, so I am in her good graces. I proposed the deal, and she said OK, but I need to get rid of my 1978 280Z parts car. I Ineed to pull the computer out of it and then will put it up for grabs for free for parts.


I have rented a tow dolly for Saturday so I can go fetch the cars. I cant wait to get them home so I can start to timker. I may be able to get both of them running and on the street evenutally.
All it takes is time and money.

6 comments:

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Good for you...and it keeps you out of trouble with all that work to do.

Not that you'd ever get into any trouble...nooooooo, not you. ;)

Al said...

PQ: WHAT?!! ME?!!In Trouble??!! I hevn't been in trouble for a long time. Like since last Thursday.

Well, it was a long time for me.

Sarah said...

Ah, time and money. Two things most of us wish we had more of. Have fun!

Rick said...

A Jensen who?

Al said...

Sarah: The idea wouldn't appeal to a lot of people, but to me, machinery makes sense.

Rick: Healey, as in Austin Healy.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.