Thursday, September 04, 2008

On Strike...No Wait a Minute

The IAM voted to turn down the Company's offer and sanctioned a strike. However, they also agreed to put off any strike for a couple of days to see if they can't come to an agreement. So the IAM has agreed to extend the current contract up until midnight on Friday. At midnight the srike will start if an new agreement can't be made.

I my career, I have been in Management, been a mechanic, an engineer, and an independent contributor. I can understand everyone's viewpoint. It would be fiscally irresponsible of the Company to give the workers any more than they have to. Likewise it would not be ethical of the Union to agree to work for less than they should. So it becomes a poker game. They both sit straight faced at the negotiating table and lie their asses off. You can never tell whether the other side is telling the truth ot not.

Is this truely the best and final offer? Will they really go on strike?

The Union felt it needed to call the Company's hand. The Company now knows that 80% of the mechanics have sanctioned a strike. Pretty telling numbers.

They have called in the Governor and the Federal Mediators to figure out who has the biggest balls. My bet's on the Union.

5 comments:

Michael said...

I was surprised at how high the percentage was authorizing the strike.

Did you get your TSO tickets today? ;-)

Sarah said...

So if they strike, do you go with them? I hope, for the sake of the 20% and the 80% and the company, it all works out by tomorrow midnight!

Al said...

Michael: OH SHIT! I forgot. Going on line soon

Sarah: I am in a different Union and we have an agreement that it is OK to cross each others lines, since we do different things. Sending s bunch of disgruntled empluyees back to work was maybe not the best idea,

rennratt said...

I had no idea that one company could have more than one union.

This is simply fascinating to me. I'm glad I'm not living it, but it is really interesting to read about.

Al said...

Renn: One Union represents the Mechanics (also known as the nuckle draggers). The other represents the professionall and technical workers. We have separate contracts, separate bebefits, different wage and medical and bonus structures.