Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Random

No organized thought today. Just random stuff rolling around in my head.

This is the third week of the IAM strike. Nothing is going on. No negotiations or anything. I really don't understand. The company made record profits last year, has a seven year backlog of orders, and a shitload of development work going on. How can they just sit on their asses and not even negotiate? It's like they really don't give a happy crappy about their customers, the workforce or the bottom line.

They are pursuing the same hard line with SPEEA in their negotiations. If they don't present a different strategy, I see a strike in my near future. I have saves up enough for a couple of months of living without my salary. It is a fund I had hoped to never tap, but it is there so I can voice my opinion without wondering if I can eat. The Union really needs to rearrange the Contract dates. If we are going out for a while, I would much rather it be in July and August, not December and January.

The way the Financial Institutions have acted over the last couple of years has me astounded. How can any organization who is charged with the care and feeding of the economy act with such fiscal irresponsibility? And now it is up to me and you to bail their asses out. First they take our money and make bad investments, and then we have to give them more money to play with. If I was king of the world, heads would roll.

There is very little to do at work. Mostly some paperwork cleanup, which we try to spread out as much as possible. I have more projects that most, but mainly because I go and find things that need to be done, then do them, not wait for stuff to come to me.

I have about a month of vacation on the books, so I am thinking of taking a week off just to do nothing. Sort of a practice run on retirement, since we really can't afford to do much. At work when I don't have anything specific to do, I peruse eBay and Craigslist. I can almost always find something I want, but right now I have to avoid buying anything. Frustrating.

I am still fighting with the Internet. The connection comes and goes. I think I have isolated the problem. I have a couple of pieces of coax joined together, and I think it is at those connections that I am losing the signal. I am going to go by Fry's tonight and buy a couple of new connectors. After all that aren't all that expensive.

That's all for now.

10 comments:

Michael said...

I agree Al, the economy just seems crazy right now. And the government seems to be happy to keep writing checks on our collective bank account.

I was talking to a friend that is on the "new airplane" this weekend and he says they're using this strike to get sub-contractors back on schedule, so it's still helping the company more than hurting it right now.

Which is one reason they may be in no hurry to toss the IAM a bone and get 'em back to work.

Al said...

Michale: That's what I figured. There is still a lot of Engineering Release activity for the 747-8 also. Time to catch up, and no late penalties.

Anonymous said...

OK - I know nothing about unions...

But - can't you take that month of vacation if you're on strike? Kinda two for the price of one?

Or does striking call off all the bennies?

Al said...

ncp: Generally not allowed to use vacation or sick leave when the Union goes on strike. And speaking of bennies, I think after one month, things like Health Carte are shut off, too. And you can't get unemployment either.

sue said...

Good points all. I hope you don't have to go on strike, and if you do it doesn't last long.

Hope you find something fun (and cheap) to do... :)

Al said...

Sue: I always have Frankenhealey to work on. I have lots of parts I can work on, and there is a whole spare car I could see if I can get running.

Sarah said...

Someday, when I rule the world, I'll see that the proper heads roll, never fear. :)

Al said...

Sarah: I vote for Sarah for supreme dictator......If you need any suggestions for head rolling, let me know.

Sarah said...

My goal is supreme benevolent dictator--that way, you're completely in charge, but everyone likes you. Thanks for the vote! I'll put you in charge of the Head Rolling Division.

Al said...

Sarah: Sorta like a dark Santa. Makin' a list and checkin' it twice.