Friday, March 09, 2007

YER FIRED!

Blame this on Rick, who blamed it on Spiffytown.

I was once fired.

I was the General Manager of a small company, doing around $500,00.00 a year and employing around 20 people. The company was based out of Chicago, but I ran everything here in Latteland. I had set up the business, started it from ground zero, expanded it, hired all the people.

We weren't making a lot of money, just breaking even. But any of you that know anything about small businesses, know it generally takes around five years for them to get off the ground. I figured that three years to go from zero revenue to a half a mil was not bad. The owners got tired of waiting.

I had several ideas of how to expand the business, but every time I seggested some new course, they vetoed it. Frustrated the heck out of me.

One day this woman I had never seen before came in to the office and introduced herself as the accountant for the firm, coming in from Chicago.

She said the parent company was shutting us down. I asked how long we had.

She said don't bother to come back from lunch.

No warning, no severance pay, nothing.

I went out to the crew and called a meeting. They were outraged at the way I had been treated, so when lunch came, we all walked off the job and went to the tavern and got stewed, leaving the accountant there by herself to run the business, offload trucks, load outgoing trucks, book leasings. The whole thing.

I told the crew they should go back in the morning. I appreciated their loyalty but told them not to do anything stupid that would jeapordize their families. When I drove by the place on my way home, there were trucks lined up all the way down the street.

The next day the accountant called me up at home, trying to locate some equipment, I told her "Yeah, I know exactly where the equipment is, but I'll be damned if I will tell you. I don't work there anymore. remember."

They never did recover some of the equipment.

6 comments:

Rick said...

Gotta love it. I had the honor and privilege of quitting on an asshole who punctuated every sentence with "Do I make myself clear?" Guess what my last word to him were...

Al said...

Rick: some people just make my knuckles itch.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I love it when you get the ol "you GOTTA help me out" call.

Wanna bet? ;)

Al said...

PQ: Nothin' feels better than makin' em'sweat it out.

Michael said...

I've had calls like that after I've left a job... that's when I break out my schedule of consulting fees!

Al said...

Michael: It feels great when they come to the realization that you have them by the short and curlies.