Thursday, February 28, 2008

Busy, busy, busy

We are getting ready to move our work location. The plan was originally to move on the first, but I made an executive decision to move the date out to the 15th.
Heck, some of the furniture won't be in place. I would be without a desk, chair, display, keyboard. The only thing in place is a hot jack for the laptop. I guess that would put me in the "Hovering" mode.

Sorry but Homey don't hover.

I am calling the new work area "The Black Hole of Calcutta", because it is of similar dimensions to the legendary Jail cell.

Be prepared for useless information!

When the British were taking overe India, they started increasing troop strength at the Fort outside Calcutta. The local Raj took exception and attacked the Fort. Faced with overwhelming odds, the majority of the Army left, leaving behind a small rear guard to cover their retreat.

This inadequate force was quickly defeated. 142 men and one woman were detained in a room 18' X 14' and only one window.

142 went in alive, ony 23 came back out.

The numbers are in question, the facts are unprovable, and the entire episode is under suspicion, but the srory is so compelling, that if it weren't true, we would have to make it up.

The room we are moving into is about 14 X 18, and only has one window and very bad circulation. The ceiling is so low that your average size person can stand flat footed and touch the ceiling.

A complaint has already been filed with the Union. I sincerely doubt that the area meets minimum Safety, Health and Ergonomic requirements. Each persons work area is smaller that a bathroom stall.

Gotta run.

Meetings, meetings, meetings.

7 comments:

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Yeesh. I'd have some major claustrophobic stuff going on there. Gimme some space, would you???

Al said...

PQ: I won't actually be in the Black Hole myself, but the poeple who work for me will.If you visit, I will remember to resereve the Royal Suite.

The Ferryman said...

I was not aware that there had been aspersions cast on the historical accuracy of that little tale.

Al said...

Mr Fab: It is mostly accepted that something happened, for some reason. The exact details of what happened to who and when are all up for grabs. That includes how many people.
The only relevant report came from the officer in charge of the British Garrison, and he may have had his own agenda.

Al said...

Rick: Only occasionally do I feel like looking for a good hidey-hole. Nothing like a little good healthy conflict to clear the brain.

sue said...

"Homey don't hover"... HA!!! I'll have to remember that one.

Good luck with the "bathroom stall sized" workspace. Ugh.

Al said...

Sue: I am one of the priveleged ones, so I have a regular sized space, althoug I have no ammeneties, just a chair and table with a docking station. I'll feel like I am at a yard sale.