Tuesday, February 26, 2008

To the Incredible PQ

There is this MEME going around the blogosphere, and I was tasked by her Majesty the Peanut Queen to respond. Understane that I volunteered for this.

But She asked me a couple of questions, and before the MEME I thought I'd deal with a question she asked, which was "Where have you been in your wanderings?"

I suppose you have to deal with things in chronological order.

My family lived in Seattle, and I went to school there, but as soon as it turned towards summer, I left for the farm in Idaho. It was like having two homes. I wandered betwene the two. There can be nothing better than having TWO homes, both of which you love. I suppose it gave me the attitude that I could be comfortable anywhere.
I spent a summer following the strawberry crops, lived with cousins in Olympia (Hi Ginger!)
It makes me a person that is comfortable almost anywhere, any time.
When I graduated from High School, a friend of mine and I left for California, specifically Haight Ashbury. Soent the Summer of Love (1967) in the bay area, and eventually came back home.
The Army decided they needed me, so I spent six months at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio. I used to play guitar in the coffee houses when I wasn't being "trained" by the Army.
If you have been around or cared lately, I posted about the "Airplane ride from Hell" the other day.
Out of the 300 people in our AIT training class, the top 1% went some place other than Vietnam. One guy went to Hawaii, one guy went to Thailand, and I went to Okinawa. I could go on for a long time about the experiences there.
Some of us rented an appartment in Jagaru, but we got kicked out of town because one of the guys was having an affair with the mayors daughter.
We moved to Sukiran, where we rented an apartment in the middle of the red light district. People came and went all night long.
After the Army.
I had been repeatedly injured by dislocating my right shoulder, and got a disability Pension from the Army. Their idea of therapy was crap. So I went over to the farm and spent the summer srarting out with splitting kindling, and working up to the hay fields by the end of summer.
Since then I have pretty much stuck around Latteland, but have spent time in Mexico. Not Cabo, no tourist attractions. We took out honeymoon in Morelia, and this is definetely not a tourist destination.
The other time we went to Mexico, it was on a Mission to an Orphanage in Tecate, outside Tijuana. No ammenities whatsoever. I carry with me the image of Mrs A sitting on the seat in the portapotty with diareah while puking in the urinal when she got Montezuma's revenge.
At his point, we are looking forward to new adventures, Maybe moving, who knows what.

Anybody for Costa Rica?

5 comments:

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

You sweet talker you...you KNOW I'm completely helpless when someone mentions Costa Rica!!! ;)

I knew it...I just knew that when I asked that question, you'd have places and adventures to blog about! You've really been around!!!

My brother was drafted and had to go to Vietnam too...and to this day, he won't talk about it. My mom still has letters written by him when he was over there. Sometimes I get them out and read them...it's something that, if anything ever happens to mom, I plan on giving them back to him so he can maybe give them to his kids.

Haight Ashbury, huh? I just BET you've got an interesting story or two there too, don't you?;)

Rick said...

Costa Rica is a definite possibility. You know Ed is building condos down there, right?

Al said...

PQ: This short post only skins the surface. It's all the stuff BELOW the surface that's a hoot.

Rick: I figure we ought to go down and scout out the location. I was not aware that ED was already down there. All the more reason to go, since we have an "In".

sue said...

Doesn't sound like Mrs. A enjoyed Mexico... just sayin'... ;)

Al said...

Sue: She enjoyed the overall experience, and would like to go back again, but I doubt anyone was ever happier to get home.
She is such a fastidious person that the image of her sitting in an overfull portapotty in the 100 degree heat and sticking her face in a scuzzy urinal is just soooooo out of scope.